SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Show me your vintage kitchen/dining room vignettes!

IdaClaire
12 years ago

Looking for inspiration and would love to see vintage, country, even primitive (I never thought I'd go that direction, but I'm attracted, I'll admit) displays/vignettes in your kitchen or dining room. I've been obsessing lately over old mixing bowls, stoneware crocks, enamel utilitarian pieces, wire baskets, etc. Please share!

Comments (77)

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Ooh, I'd love to take a look! My email is my screen name on yahoo. I'm in the Carolinas.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

For those of you interested in the old lamb mold, I saw a few the other day on Etsy. I was searching for an old cast iron lamb (such as a bank or a door-stop) and saw a few of the molds. Hubby and I went to a new architectural salvage place Friday (hurray! finally have one in our area!!) and they had one sitting on the owner's desk.

tina

• Related Discussions

Show Me Non-Chandelier Options for Dining Room?

Q

Comments (8)
    Thank you all! Polly, I do like some of those lanterns, I will poke around on my online sites to see some. Dilly, yes, lights required. I like the drum shades and that's where I started looking when I first began hunting for fixtures. I also like that vintage fixture in your photo, if I could find one the right scale for the room/table--I'm not a purist because I don't have the budget to be one, but I do like vintage and I'm not against having old lights rewired. I'll check eBay for ideas... Natal, do you have a photo? I'd like to see. It is quite literally the plainest Jane of a dining room in the world, so anything I can do to make me love the room a little will be worth it!
    ...See More

Show me what is on your dining table-please!

Q

Comments (43)
    jaymielo -- add a week's worth of newspapers, a bucket of crayons and two or three coloring books and a plastic high chair, there's my table. :) Seriously, when I set the table for guests, I have a large 1960s teak salad bowl filled with glazed gourds that I put on a runner my mum brought back from Malaysia. Otherwise, we use the table as our eating, working, game playing, coloring, playdoh, crafting center so it's normally piled with crapola.
    ...See More

Show Me Your Dining Room Lighting

Q

Comments (21)
    What beautiful light fixtures! I adore the PB chandelier that you posted and it was one of the main contenders for our DR, but the idea of cleaning it made me change my mind really quickly. LOL Here's a pic of our very casual DR light. I actually bought it for the foyer, but ended up putting it in the DR until I can find something with some WOW. This is the one in the kitchen. Love it's funkiness....even without shades. :o)
    ...See More

Show Me (or tell me about) Your Desk/office in Kitchen & give ide

Q

Comments (7)
    Here you go, the uppers have the calander hanging on one side and emergency numbers on right door and all the office things live here. There is an outlet for charging cameras and "my" stuff. On the counter is an outlet for the land line. Antique tray is our magnet board. Top drawer has a powerstrip attached to the back for DH's electronics this is "his" drawer for keys and anything else. Bottom drawer is the coupons, and "junk" drawer as I have found it is inevitable! Basket is home for shoes. There is now a cushion on the dog kennel. Once Buddy is no longer we can pop an end panel on kennel and the lid under cushion lifts for more storage. Hope this helps! From Kitchen before and after From Kitchen before and after
    ...See More
  • Sidney4
    12 years ago

Tinam61, I did a little more research on the lamb mold as well. I had originally said it was a Wagner Ware mold but it was actually made by Griswold, Those two companies do have a common history but the molds are a Griswold brand. There is also a rabbit and Santa Claus mold in that series. Did you happen to run across one of those anywhere? I would love to have all three.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

I saw the lamb on ebay, Griswold brand. There were quite a few of these available. I think I also saw the rabbit. Not sure about Santa.

• luckygal
    12 years ago

Interesting thread - I love vintage/antique kitchen things and have a few altho not a lot of good pics.

Here's an old fall vignette showing my antique cast iron scone baking pan found at a yard sale. In front of it is a vintage cookie tin which was my DM's.

{{!gwi}}

This scale is likely from the 50's or maybe 40's and also belonged to my DM. Not a great vignette but the pic was to show the galvanized tin tote with the very rusty handle. It may be vintage and possibly someone's school metal work project. DH wanted it for his workshop but I "appropriated' it for my kitchen as I have a collection of galvanized metal containers!

{{!gwi}}

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Here's some pics, some you've probably already seen. I inherited about 75% of my pieces, and it's mostly glassware and my doll "Buttons" which was made by Dan River Mills in Danville, VA.

{{!gwi}}

Pic below is kind of messy and just thrown together. I inherited this really neat pink and white table cover so I used it for my pink glassware.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

This is a different "vintage" than I think you're looking for, but I'm working the loophole:

• sergeantcuff
    12 years ago

I really enjoyed these. I have gone in a more streamlined direction myself lately, as I am a poor housekeeper, but I am sure I will veer back to displaying more.

Here's a bad picture of one of my kitchen windows with a valance made from a vintage tablecloth and an old light from ebay. (My house is very dark in the summer, so pics are difficult - this one doesn't show shade's floral design).

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I feel so inspired! Thank you all so much for sharing your wonderful photos! Each space is of course different, but they all have in common a wonderfully warm, old-fashioned kind of feel that makes me want to just sink right in! :-)

pps7 - I want an antique scale and have been perusing eBay and Etsy, where several have caught my eye! Love yours! Love those salvaged shelves too!

Luckygal - ah! Another scale! What a great vignette with some wonderful old pieces! I think I would have "appropriated" that galvanized tote from hubby too!

Oakley, you have some terrific pieces! I think that is Watt "apple-ware", isn't it? Love those items! Your milk glass spice jars caught my eye too. Those are so cute! I also envy those cute little rounded shelves on either side of your sink!

Jakabedy, working the loophole is perfectly acceptable! I am very drawn to your MCM style and have considered doing at least one room completely over in that style. (Probably our den. Just haven't progressed that far yet!)

Maureen, your photo makes my heart beat a little faster! That's exactly the vintage look that I'm after. Not cluttered but still conveying a definite old-time feel.

I took a pic (with my Blackberry, so the quality is poor) last night showing a few more items that I've added to my sideboard. The plates on the wall are old Lusterware, which reminded me of a set my Grannie used to display in her home. I'll be tweaking the display on th sideboard a bit more. I'm still looking for an old stoneware/crockery bowl to replace the small bowl on the left, and also have my eye out for just the right thing to hang on the far left side of this wall. And then I'll be done. (I think!)

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Auntjen, that looks great! Love the breadbox!

Maureen, I think my mother had that tablecloth pattern!

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    12 years ago

Auntjen, here are you breadbox's cousins! (Oh, I covet that breadbox!)

I love seeing everyone's vintage decor too!

• chucksmom
    12 years ago

Now that I finally found the pictures I want to post, how do I post them? Help, please.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Jen, check out the link below. When we did our kitchen I demanded shelves around the sink and at the end of the cabs. Yes, that's Watt pottery which is what I used to determine the color of my whole house back when I was 18!

Maureen, I have the tablecloth and a runner in the same pattern! They're so old though, some of it's stained but I'd love to find a way to use them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage storage

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ooooh! I need those tins and that scale! Need, need, NEED! ;-D

I am so in love with that green color. I wonder if I'll ever start to feel over-saturated by it? My obesession du jour is actually vintage French enamelware and I have my eye on a piece on eBay. It's frightfully expensive though (well, at least for me it is) and I'm not even sure quite why - except that it does come in the most luscious colors and just makes me feel good to gaze upon it!

Oakley - I'm off to check out your link now. Thanks!

• sergeantcuff
    12 years ago

I love old tablecloths. Unfortunately my kitchen is too small for a table or I'd collect tons of them and use them everyday. I hated cutting this one up but it is my favorite thing in the kitchen. I've seen beautiful vignettes of stacked cloths but I don't have a space for that either.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oakley, thanks so much for sharing that link! I love those pieces and discovered there's a shop not too terribly far from me that carries the line. Must check that out, perhaps this coming weekend!

As for the French enamelware ... what's not to love? ::sigh::

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Aaaaaaaand ... more swoon-worthiness!

(But $144? Yikes!)

• PRO
    12 years ago

I could do a whole room around that pink pitcher!

I told dd just yesterday I am determined to have a lush, pink, feminine, vintage, over-the-top room in the near future. I am eyeing the bathroom at work.....

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    12 years ago

Hi auntjen, this is the first time I've posted to Home Decorating--I usually hang around Smaller Homes and Kitchens. I was cruising around for ideas for a painted staircase (found the wonderful thread in the gallery), and the phrase 'vintage kitchen' caught my eye. I live in a 1920's farm/cottage/bungalow, and I'm trying to get a vintage look in a kitchen that was completely gutted sometime in the 1980's--all original trim was ditched in favor of dropped ceilings and thin moldings. :[

Here is a pic of the old kitchen, with a few primitive items:

Oops, sorry, that one is old--hasn't been resized.

Now it looks like this:

And since you like light green enamelware:

It's not functional--I store potatoes and onions in the drawers on the left--plastic bags for re-use, in the oven.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    12 years ago

I thought of another vintage vignette, with mixing bowls:

My kitchen album/unfinished remodel, with lots of boring pictures. :)

• Sidney4
    12 years ago

Mama Goose. I'm glad you "dropped by". Your bowls would look great on my kitchen shelves. Love your kitchen.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mama_goose, your kitchen is fabulous! WOW! What an amazing shelving/display area you have, and filled with some pretty terrific pieces too! Your enamelware stove is just splendid! (I covet! Truly!) Your bowls are wonderful too. Any idea the maker of the one with the raised design? Looks like a little person watering flowers outside of a cottage - ? So adorable!

I'm going to check out your link. I'll bet the pictures are anything but boring! I love what you've done!

• kathleenca
    12 years ago

Hi auntjen,

I have the same bowl in an almost-avocado green, & bought it just for the watering scene on the outside. I think it may be a reproduction. Though I found mine at an antiquey store, I've seen a couple of others since, all in the same green. BTW, the rim is not glazed, nor is under the raised lip or the edge of the bottom of the bowl. The marking on the bottom is 166-8 U.S.A.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Thanks a lot Jen, now I'm going to HAVE to buy some french enamelware! lol. I've never heard of it before. Beautiful!

Maureen, I'm such a doofus. I keep my meds sitting in an antique sewing basket w/lid on the kitchen counter so no one can see what's inside, and it's also decorative.

Guess what it's sitting on that I totally forgot? The runner that matches your valance!

Mama-my dh would flip to have that shelving to put his canning on display. Me too!

What I'd really like to do is have someone come over to my home, go through all my accessories from kitchen to LR, and put them in the right places. I have so much stuff even in storage, but my downfall is not knowing how to accessorize the right way.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I do want to say, I want this topic to go on forever because I've felt so alone here on the board thinking I was the only one who decorated with vintage!

Vintage got in my blood when I was around 18-20 when my mom gave me my deceased grandmother's (she passed before I was born) Watt pottery bowl, inside it says, "It's better with butter." lol.

I've already passed the bowl to my DIL who happens to have the same colors I do!

My whole color scheme since my 20's have matched the pottery, and I always decorated vintage/old. Not once have I ever changed colors.

deedee, check out one of my pics above, the bakers rack where I put all girlie pink things on. It's in the LR!

Keep adding pictures!

• PRO
    12 years ago

Oak, I was admiring that pretty pink vignette of yours. Dh would love that vintage radio too. And I was especially taken with the kitten tea pot!

mama goose, your kitchen is practically perfect in every way. Love it!

• chucksmom
    12 years ago

Well, here goes, for gssciencechick.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• cooperbailey
    12 years ago

I have vintage stuff everywhere in my house. I don't have room to display things in my kitchen- but I use vintage mixing bowls, sifter, juicer, cookie cutters custard cups, tablecloths, hand towels. etc.My newest kitchen find is a fireking lustreware casserole. I love to cook with my vintage stuff always on the hunt. love love jadeite but dont own any. Vintage rocks!

• chucksmom
    12 years ago

They are called hoosier side cabinets. The ones I have are much newer and not hoosier but have 2 doors on each one with glass fronts. I blocked off the bottom door with contact paper for storage and left the glass on top for display. I think that you could easily make them yourself using stock narrow wall cabinets and reproduction hardware. My last post wouldn't submit so I'm trying again.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    12 years ago

Thank you, auntjen, and everyone who loves vintage!

My orange mixing bowl was deemed an original by my BIL antiques dealer/ebay-er. It's also marked 166-8" USA. I copied a page from December 2005 issue of Country Living 'What's it Worth' column, stating that this type of bowl was probably made circa 1910 in central Ohio, and is known as 'The Girl with the Watering Can.' Probably part of a set of 3 or 4 graduated sizes. The 4" bowls are rarer and more valuable, so keep your eyes peeled for the itty-bitty ones.

oakleyoak, I'd be happy to come by and add a few pics to bump this thread once in a while. I've always loved primitive and vintage items, mostly found in flea markets and thrift stores, and I'm lucky to have been born into, and married into, families who also appreciate American antiques--we've received lots of lovely hand-me-downs.

Not in the kitchen or DR, but right outside in the mudroom:

There's that orange bowl again. :)

• chucksmom
    12 years ago

How did you insert the picture in the post?

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

jaysmom, you are not kidding about a perfect match! Awesome! I did not now such a side cabinet existed.

My email is my screen name on yahoo.com.

• alex9179
    12 years ago

Take a look at Miss Mustard Seed's blog today. She shows her kitchen a bit and has some lovely vignettes.

I thought I had nothing to contribute to this thread, but then realized I have one or two things I could share. I'll have to do that after I clean my kitchen up!

Off topic, but I want to thank you AuntJen. Reading your threads lately have reinspired me! I'm coming out of my funk (I never do well in late summer) and back to making my home pretty...and having fun! Your projects have really helped me get revved up for it again. Thank you for your inspiration :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Miss Mustard Seed

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    12 years ago

aunjen, you piqued my curiosity. I found an ebay listing for a set of mixing bowls with the
    'Girl with a Watering Can'.

• emagineer
    12 years ago

To all...Mama Goose has not told the whole story of her kitchen. It deserves an entire post. The long storage unit and base cabinets are from an old school room. And you have to look at her range hood. It is created from a chicken feeder. She also does 90% of the building, including hand edging of her counters.

Time to tell the tale of this kitchen transition Mama. Your talents and endeavors would be a great experience for all.

Now I'm a tattle tell.....

• alex9179
    12 years ago

chicken feeder range hood? That sounds fantastic! Emagineer is right, we need the whole story. Is it in Kitchens?

My vintage stuff, well 2 things. The pitcher is old from a shop and the grinder was used by by great-great grandparents and their descendents on their dairy farm (no longer exists). An example of my non-trendiness since it takes up space but is not useful :D (per the 2011 kitchen trend thread). The bird S&P shakers are new, but cute.

My display cabinets are filled with ironstone and bone china, as well as new pieces. I do use these when we have adult company and sometimes for family dinners. Short glass cruet on left was used by my great-grandmother for syrup :) Some silver serving pieces that I like tarnished instead of polished.

My parents received this coffee set as a wedding present, 40ish years ago. I helped her organize her kitchen on my last visit and came away with it. She just doesn't have the space to store it...she pretended to buy that reason. :)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    12 years ago

Lol, emagineer, you decided to 'out' me! Thank you for your encouragement--all of it. I'll start a thread soon.

Here are before and after pics of my feed bin hood:

In my unfinished kitchen:

Here is a link that might be useful: See the hood project here.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    12 years ago

I don't know if this counts as a vignette, but it's a 'marriage.' I was given an old Dazey churn gearbox, with no jar, and an old pickle jar with no lid. So I repainted the totally rusted churn, and put it with the pickle jar:

And as my friend emagineer suggested, I started a thread about my kitchen remodel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage, salvage, low-budget, DIY kitchen in progress

• newdawn1895
    12 years ago

I had a Labor day lunch at my cousin's house yesterday and took some pictures, not taken very good. Should of taken the whole farm table with windsor chairs.

She has tons of collections all over the house. White Ironstone pitchers, transferware (brown, blue, green, purple, mulburry) millions of seashells, old Paris, crock ware.

I think this style would look good in juddgirl's spawling ranch too.

.....Jane

{{!gwi}}

The picture below is in her sunroom.

{{!gwi}}

• newdawn1895
    12 years ago

I took these with my phone and they are awful, so sorry. This is also in her sunroom.

{{!gwi}}

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

How pretty! Your cousin did a great job. Very, very nice decorating.

• newdawn1895
    12 years ago

Thanks, she is so talented. It's actually hard to carry on a conversation because your looking around at all her pretty stuff.

....Jane

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Jane, her sunroom picture should be in Country Living! Love those children's chairs on the table. I never would have thought of that!

Mama, welcome to the board! I'm still excited that people are finally showing their vintage items, whether it's just one piece or dozens.

I have a jar similar to your pickle jar full of old buttons I got at a garage sale about 30 years ago, all for $5.00!

Keep the pictures coming!

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Lucky, are you talking about painting your kitchen walls green? This is just me, but I think green is the wrong color to use in a kitchen with dark cabs.

I'm not talking about accessories in green like your linens above, because that is going to be beautiful, I'm talking walls.

I know you were wanting to paint your cabinets white and dh didn't like it, but I do think a vintage green color (on the pastel side) would be great with white/cream cabinets.

I have a room I'm considering painting green (the light/pastel/vintage green, for lack of an accurate color!) but the room has white beadboard so I think I could get away with it.

I would do the wall behind the hutch green and see what it looks like because that would be the perfect place for it!

And I'm gonna steal that hutch if you're not careful! :)

• prill
    12 years ago

I'm really late to this thread. Haven't been on here much lately. Love all the pictures here of great antiques. I collect yellow ware, pie safes, some blue onion. I love antique furniture.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Prill, love that pic with the counter and BS.

Just saw this link on Retrorenovation to Apartment Therapy on Vintage kitchens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Apartment Therapy vintage kitchens

• Marcia Thornley
    12 years ago

I've loved seeing all your pictures!
    This is in my dining room.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    12 years ago

I have vignettes on the top of several flatwall cabinets and pie safes, but after taking pictures, they seem a little sparse or stilted to me. IRL they look OK, maybe it's just my camera (lol, or the photographer).

Neither of these is in the kitchen or DR, (although they were at one time), but they are kitchen-type goodies:

I love looking at all your pictures--love spying treasures of which I have the same or similar versions.

• Sara Hernandez
    last year

I love all of these .. my great grandma called one of these a milk crock .

• Sara Hernandez
    last year