SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bantoniewicz_gw

Home Automation Wiring

bantoniewicz
15 years ago

My wife and I are about to begin construction on our home renovation permit permitting (no pun intended). We'd like to install wiring for a future home automation system such as an HAI system as used in Michelle Kaufman's Smart House, and would like to do it ourselves (run the wiring) to reduce some of the costs. What we need help with is laying out the system. Our goal is for the system to ultimately be fully integrated; e.g. single control/internet control of music (connected to Denon home theater), lighting, HVAC, security, etc. We'll also be running speaker wire throughout for direct room speakers (e.g. in-ceiling).

We're seeking advice on laying out a wiring plan for an entire system. We have full architectural drawings so we know the location of every standard GFI as well as the typical coaxial location, etc. We're already planning for Cat6 in all rooms for future computer/TV/phone set-up with a home run back to the mechanicals room. I'd like to avoid running conduit unless required by code (Chicago) but will do so as necessay.

Can anyone point us in the direction of a good "how to" manual, guide, etc.?

Thanks.

p.s. If this is NOT the appropriate forum to post this, please let me know and I'll repost elsewhere.

Comments (3)