SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris_pyle

New Tools for Me and WIP

16 years ago

Trying to conserve threads so combining two here.

First this is my mirror WIP that goes with the shabby table. I need to grind it and grout.
{{gwi:2094760}}

Then with some help from all of you on the board and special thanks to Hazie I made a HUGE order for me.

I ordered a Grinder and tumbler and the Morton System and the breaking pliers and also the Morton hand breaker thing. I LOVE it but I think that is because I have never used the pliers before..

I was watching the grinder and Morton system come across country and it seemed to spend three days at Hazies house. LOL Close anyway. Then it hit Boise and sat there. About 5 minutes before it arrived here I checked tracking again and it was still in Boise. They were SO Wrong because it was just arriving at the bottom of our driveway.

THEN I was so confuzzled about the tumbler. Harbor freight said they were shipping it UPS then Parcel Post then a post card saying UPS again and it also arrived about a half hour behind UPS in a Fedex truck. Hehehe I can just see them all playing hot potato with my tumbler.

So three wonderful things to play with all at once. I felt overwhelmed. WHAT was I to do first. I had to take a nap. LOL

Later in the evening I did put the grinder together and discovered it had two decks for different uses. This is good. I did not even try it yet. Need to put together a shield to control splatters.

Then I tried to read and listen to the CD on the Morton. The CD made me CRAZY!! I think I got to about page 6 listening and following along in the book. I put it down and went to bed.

This morning I went back to the Morton with book only and went slowly step by step and so far it has worked perfectly for me. This might be because this it the first time in my life I have ever cut a piece of glass. I bought these CHEEP glass cutters on Ebay 12 for about five dollars. Eye roll. I did not know about the other fancy ones. The thing I see with these cheep cutters is there is a large flat area close to the wheel that rides right down the bar and does not wobble. I am not even sure you could get them to wobble. They might not last long.

My BIGGEST problem seems to be my long cutting edge does not go all the way to the top orange holder. I had to bring in down one square to hold the end of the bar in place. It does NOT show this in the pictures. I know I have the large grid and the cutting system that is supposed to go with the large grid. Anyone else see this problem?

So I cut up a batch of squares for testing. I only have some small scrap glass to work with. I learned some things that would make the process go much faster. Then I loaded my tumbler with some tiny scrap glass and my squares and ran it for a half hour. WOW Wonderful. I do tend to cut on the fly but I can see if I am doing a big pattern of squares and triangles I certainly will use the tumbler. Having the grinder I can smooth that fresh cut edge as needed.

So I am a happy camper.

Chris

Comments (20)

Sponsored