SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cloud_swift

Choosing a color for livingroom fireplace.

Cloud Swift
10 years ago

We are planning to redo our living room including new furniture and replacing the flooring in our living room and dining room area. We will probably get wall to wall carpet again though we are toying with the idea of wood.

On my living room thread some commented that the fireplace white didn't seem to fit with the rest of the room. I'm trying to decide what color to paint it. We are pretty sure that the fireplace has always been painted.

Here is the fireplace:

I'm planning on keeping the ceramic figures flanking the firebox and the tile on the hearth which is green with a lot of color variation. Here is a close up of some of the hearth tile along with the color seed that I'm thinking of using as inspiration for the color scheme of the room:

Here is the Lotus Color palette from design seeds.

The house is MCM and I think the new furniture will be modern/contemporary in feel.

One thought is to paint the fireplace a neutral color, perhaps a light coffee color (like coffee with lots of milk, not espresso) or taupe. Another is to choose a light blue - perhaps like the light blue in the lotus palette maybe toned down a bit. That might pull more of the blue-green shades out of the tile.

I don't want to do anything very dark because the built in shelves are already dark. (There is a set of shelves taking up most of the short wall of the living room in addition to the ones to the right of the fireplace.)

What color would work for the fireplace?

Comments (4)