SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leahgillum

Adding single pole switch next to three way switch

leahgillum
16 years ago

I'm frustrated. My goal is to add a single pole switched track lighting fixture in a room that had a three way switched ceiling fan. So, yesterday, installed the track fixture, ran the wires to the double box and connected wires. Fan works perfectly, track light will not switch on/off.

Here's the wiring--fan is a three way switch with power through the switch box (three wire cable+ground runs beween switches, two wire cable+ground runs from last switch to fan). Second three way switch was in box that had cable from receptacle below running into box, powering the receptacle beow. Initially, all white wires were tied together, all grounds, red three way wire to switch, black four cable wire to switch, and fan + switch pigtail+ outlet black wires tied together.

So, I tied the new track light run white to all whites, black to the fan + switch pigtail+ outlet black wire. Light goes on but won't switch off. Then, I pigtailed the new track light black to the fan + switch pigtail+ outlet black wire combo. Same deal, light on but won't go off.

Thoughts are most appreciated and questions will be promptly answered.

Comments (2)