SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
koidom

Need help with exterior /curb appeal

koidom
14 years ago

Hello all.

You guys where so helpful in redoing my living room now I need help with the front of my tiny but beloved home which is long over due!

money is tight sense hubby don't have a job but I was hoping to get the painting done this year on the front.

(did the sides last year)

This is the front which is being landscaped by me right now,

so it's messy.

I pulled out the over grown jumipers and trimmed up the trees and remove the red cender gravel bed that was the only landscaping the old owners did.

I planted the tree and the bed which is going to be moved. someday I would like to remodel or add a small porch but for now I need to make it look the best it can with what I can do with hard work and little money :)

I'm adding a rock wall all along the drive way with the welcome sign and a collection of ferns and hostas.

I just got around to moving 12 pallets of retaining wall that has been sitting along with a old car that only ran when it felt like it so glad to see it gone!

I'm getting excited as it looks SOOO much better already!

{{!gwi}}

I would like to keep the white trim and the red wood stain as wood stain is so easy to up keep.

but the white top exterior I don't like, I would like another color.

This is the side I repainted and made shutters and trim for which was cheap to do.

{{!gwi}}

Before

{{!gwi}}

after

details

{{!gwi}}

Dog fence.

href="http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c64/redtrinitygirl/?action=view¤t=000_3194-1.jpg"; target="_blank">{{!gwi}}

This is a inspiration picture

{{!gwi}}

any photoshoping or help would be great!

Comments (47)

• DLM2000-GW
    14 years ago

Holy smokes you've done a lot of work and what an impressive job! No specific suggestions but I like the look you're achieving more than your inspiration photo. Your flowers and trellises are gorgeous.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

koidom, I'm with Deb, Holy smokes! It looks awesome. I love the bamboo trellises and fence. Wherever did you find them?
    You're little doggie is so cute too!

• Related Discussions

Exterior - help! Need Curb Appeal - BAD

Q

Comments (11)
    I could see replacing the side steps with steps straight up the front to the door. You could then swing a red brick path over to the driveway or to the street. Where your lower landing is located, and to the downspout (paint them out so they aren’t visible, you could plant low shrubs. I envision this as a cute English cottage. Do the dividers in your windows come out? If so, they could be painted black and snapped back in to go with the black trim noted above. A very cute house!
    ...See More

Need help updating the exterior mess! Curb appeal needed

Q

Comments (42)
    While it will shrink your side yard, you might consider planting a couple of rows of cedar trees or other evergreen trees or shrubs )that keep their leaves year round) to create a "green fence" between the railroad track and your home. Not sure it would help with the sound but it certainly wouldn't hurt. After you plant the first row, plant the second row with those trees/shrubs blocking the view of any space between that first row.
    ...See More

Exterior: we need a curb appeal refresh!

Q

Comments (10)
    If you are open to changing the roof line over the walkway, perhaps you could make the roof over the garage separate. Alter the roof over the garage so the hip corner of it ends at the right corner of the garage. Then build a new roof over the entry sidewalk HIGHER than the garage roof . You could still have it be a shed roof, albeit with sturdier looking posts and supporting angles, but have it begin at a height chosen so that when you add the left slope in front of the upstairs, your left slope will be only a few inches or so beneath the height of the upstairs window trim (bottom trim beneath window sill) . As you reach the front corner with your right-sloping shed roof you can add a small decorative left side slope to the right sloping roof in front of the garage, creating the appearance of a forward facing gable... not unlike this small gable in front of the larger gable: the part of the smaller gable that is in front of the larger gable is decorative rather than actual roof covering any interior space. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/192599321544446995/ You might want to build the new roof starting with the front so you are building both sides of the roof, including the left slope in front of the upstairs, first to be sure you have symmetry. You might even consider a triangle window in the right side of the gable with a black panel (or dark tinted glass with "interior" behind it also painted black) in the same shape on the left side of the gable. https://www.pinterest.nz/pin/545850417335577390/
    ...See More

Brick Ranch Exterior needs Curb Appeal!

Q

Comments (15)
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I see some great ideas that I'd implement if I were living here but aren't necessarily feasible given the circumstances. We'll move forward with seasonal (fall) landscaping, sealing the drive, and finishing the railing. The doors have actually been painted. We could repaint them but given how subjective paint colors are, I'd rather allocate the funds elsewhere. Possibly a hanging sign or other decor to complement the new landscaping. Again, thanks for the suggestions! The Houzz forum never fails to provide great feedback.
    ...See More
  • koidom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's hard finding a inspiration picture that looks anything like my tiny home plus it's the colors I'm thinking of using and has the same siding....

Thanks for the complments.:)

• barb5
    14 years ago

First of all, let me say that your transformation of the side of your house is just amazing! Seriously, my jaw dropped. And your front plantings with the rock wall and the planter are lovely.Your hard work is certainly paying off.

On your inspiration pic I'm not really liking the brown under the gable- it looks dark and heavy to me. Are you going to paint your front shutters black like the ones on the side? I tend to be not very good with these color situations, and I responded to your thread mostly to tell you how impressed I am with your efforts, so maybe I am completely off the wall here, but how about a light blue under your gable? I'm thinking the kind of blue that people paint their porch ceilings...with white trim and black shutters.

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

I also am very impressed with the work you have done so far.
    I hope some of our talented photoshoppers will help you out here.

• koidom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Justgotabme.

you can buy the criss cross bamboo fence panels.

The gate and trellises I made from plant stakes from the garden depatment.

The metal parts of the gate and trellises are from big lots. the rest is wire and garden string. oh the gate is topped with four mental curtain finials on the gate posts I got at a damaged outlet store for $2 a pair.

• koidom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

On the light blue I don't think it would go with the red..

I painted my sun room sky blue with a red door and a red couch... it was a conversation piece I will say that....

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Hi there, Koidom : ) Yes, you are doing a spectacularly amazing beautifulous job!! I'm not sure what you need help with!? I remember what beautiful things you did with your living room finds. You have such a unique talent and vision.

That's such a beautiful shade of read you're using, too. Please share your paint and color with us.

• koidom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi squirrelheaven.

It's just a redwood deck stain it does fade after a while but it don't really peel like paint I'm not sure if I can paint over a stain if I wanted to change the house color.

I guess I could. I know I could if I used a primer.

I guess I was wondering if the gable would look best painted the same red as the house with whire trim or dark like the picture or even gray or if it was best to leave white.... I'm not a fan of the white but don't want it to look horriable if I paint it dark...

• barb5
    14 years ago

Maybe I find the brown heavy on your inspiration pic because the trim on the door and windows is also brown and the trim of the roof is not white. Now I'm thinking if you keep the trim a white, like you have done on the side of the house, the brown might be nice.

Maybe Squirrelheaven or someone else would photoshop it for you.

• Oakley
    14 years ago

What about a dark forest green? Your house looks like a cabin in the mountains, I love it! Are you in the mountains by any chance?

Why don't you do a google search of "Pictures of cabins" and I bet you get a lot of pictures of homes the same color as yours, then you can check out the trims in the pictures.

You've done a great job and your house doesn't look tiny to me!

Oh, maybe next summer instead of putting pots and trellises along the side of the house, why not make one long flowerbed? A Japanese Maple would look good there along with different kinds of flowers. :)

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

koidom, you making the trellis and gate make them all the more spectacular! You are one talented lady!

• powermuffin
    14 years ago

I think a nice butterscotch or rich cream would look nice in the gable area. Then you can add some gold roses or other goldish flowers to the front!

I like your house better than the inspiration house too. You've done a great job!
    Diane

• suero
    14 years ago

Matching the color on the side of your house

With a dark paint on the peaks, like your inspiration house

• koidom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oakleyok

There are a few houses that have red abd dark green I will go have a look at them again.

I sort of live in the woods it's about six miles from a little town on 1/2 acre I just have a bunch of large trees every one else has cut theres down. I'm lucky as the people who built the house planted redwoods and I love them!

The house is 900sq foot.

I might move the trellises, but I don't think I want a garden along the house, one thing is the drive way is taller then what the house sits on and another the house is right on the ground. :( once I get those things fixed I might do that :)

Diane
    a nice butterscotch or rich cream does sound like it could be very inviting!

• pugga
    14 years ago

I noticed in the inspiration picture that there was a strip of the red house color directly under the roof line (so there's the roof, a strip of red and then the rest of the roof trim is white). I thought that looked nice and kind of pulled the house together with the roof and the different colored peaks.

• christina923
    14 years ago

amazing transformation! beautiful vision!

• koidom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow thanks so much Suero!

I've been playing with your pictures I like them both.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    14 years ago

That's so nice looking! How about something other than the white circle? A star? A moon? I have some on my garage. It's a wrought iron deal. Don't have a pictures, sorry.

Here is a link that might be useful: wall art

• zipdee
    14 years ago

Be still my heart, I love your cute little red cottage. You've done such an awesome job this far! I can't wait to see the final outcome.

• koidom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I like the idea of something there I think..but I'm not totaly in love with the blank white dots... looks a bit 70's

Finding the right mental picec might be a hard.. but I do love that copper sun!

Is this better? I like it a lot better. I also redid the long shutter which is sort of sagging so it look like it needs repaired or replaced anyway. and added some color to the circles and made the bottom molding a bit more wide..

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

You're very handy, so here are some ideas using trim and more stonework, along with the painting. I used the warm stone from your wonderful inspiration picture, as it looks so good with the red. I know you'd find a nice balance, working with the other more gray you already have going.

I did use some yellow roses, which might not work for you, but the other climbers are clematis. You could do an assortment for different blooming times to keep the color going.

What a great spot you have there. Is this a farm?

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Here's cooling things a bit, but I do like that hot version.

{{!gwi}}

• idie2live
    14 years ago

Ab-so-lute-ly remarkable! Koidom, you have some serious skills! And you photoshoppers? Amazing also.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Here's some lighter trim on the roof trim pieces:

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Here's the red liner done in black, and a garden lantern:

{{!gwi}}

• koidom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow!

I'm totaly speechless...........

It looks wonderful!

Do you have a name for a good butter color like that?

I'm in love!

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thnk you thank you
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

I really love the first and the last.....

It's so cheerful.....

I sort of have it running as a farm, my husband is a good man and puts up with all my gardens and pets. I have a horse,a mule and chickens and........

{{!gwi}}
    Are you staring at my pantaloons??

Nope! we're all staring at the wonderful house SQ heaven did!!!!!!!

I never thought this place could be cute from the front.

I think the rooster likes the butter color..... maybe I'll take him to the paint store and have them match him........

What is that wondrful color you say?

Why it's called Rooster pantaloons!!!!!

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

hahaha, you just made my day! or Night I guess it is, lol. And that is tooo funny. I can't believe your rooster matches the house! Must be those spooky cyber-waves in action. Maybe you could include him in the name of your cottage somehow?

It is just too charming, isn't it. Based on your wonderful inspir-y. Do you remember where you found that picture?

Can't wait to see what you end up with! Please stop back to show us. I know you will, like you did with the living room : ) (Please try to remember to bounce me an email, too, in case I'm not around to see it at the time.)

You're welcome! : D

• msrose
    14 years ago

I really like the red gable and I have to say that's the prettiest rooster I've ever seen. I didn't know they came in decorative colors :)

Laurie

• emagineer
    14 years ago

These are the projects that fill my heart. What a wonderful transformation you have done. So much work (from experience) and with true creative endeavors from finding what is available.

I like the butter color too. It brings out a cottage feeling. I'd stay with the stain rather than paint on sides. Would be easier to touch up and seems softer for your house.

Love too..you have a mini farm. I miss this part of life.

How great all have made such wonderful suggestions.

• readerlearner
    14 years ago

Very impressive indeed. I have enjoyed this thread. I like the mock ups too, the butter color and trim would look good. The Welcome sign and plantings you did is great. I also like your spunk and humor, and of course your chicken.

• koidom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

S. Heaven

The inspiration picture came out of Cottages and bungalows magazine. fall 2007.

It's a 1917 historic structure in laguna beach california.

What I'm worried about is at this time in my life the whole place is turned upside down, I got some majoir projects going on so all the color of the butterscotch house and trim painting will take a ton of time. the trim is hard back breaking work and I could just not do the front I would have to totally redo the sides repaintint the trim and possiable taking down the black shutters or paint them yellow.

I was hoping to keep the trim white as you would hardly notice a missed spot and would not have to double coat it like I would changing a color...

I don't feel like I'm lazy I'm just trying to down size projects and work with what I have.

If I did black detail trim I could keep the black shutters on the side but I'm thinking about how I would add trim to the roof line I guess I could buy trim strips and paint them black them nail them up.

I might go with the grey keep the trim white for this year but keep your shop picture as it's so breath taking and beautiful! I love having those picture I save them and will keep them forever!

I will think about putting it into action one day!

I know you worked hard on the photoshoping and I love it I hope you understand it's about time. if I could wave a wond I would so do it.. any one have a magic wond?

I love the rock wall but that's not something that can be done overnight not by me at least!

lol Laurie,

I think he thinks he is the prettiest rooster ANY ONE has ever seen....

Thanks Emagineer,

I agree everyone has been so helpful!

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Ack! She changed her mind already¡size> Disappointing, as I just love the red and sunny yellow. But, maybe someday when you're looking for a change. Dreaming is always productive, in one way or another : )

I actually thought you'd said you wanted to get rid of the white. Maybe you just meant the peaks. SW strip #97 has some yellows that feel similar; Jonquil 6674, Afternoon 6675, Butterfield 6676. Yellows can go up very strong, though, so it's hard to say. BM Country Comfort 305 and Lion Heart 306 seem similar too.

Good luck with your projects. I'm sure you'll come up with something fabulous for the front!

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

ok, sticking with the white trim, but changing the peak. Here's some more stuff to look at. And just a couple loose piles of beautiful stones : )

First pic is one I was working on last night, incorporating some turquoise. Then follows the ones with white trim:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Forgot the ones without the red trim and/or shutters:
    {{!gwi}}

An in-between yellow, from the light and deeper one:
    {{!gwi}}

• koidom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi.

I'm back!

So many choises! wow!

I ran well (drove) to the paint store and picked out some paint chips when I got home they where WAY too gold so I went back and got some cream ones

{{!gwi}}

Then I seen this little guy on sale for $10 and thought it would go nicely even if it's longer then in the picture..

{{!gwi}}

I went out and looked and the house does have a trim stripe on the top gable so All I would have to do is tape and paint it and it would be easy to add one to the lower gable as it's short so I would not have to splice them. and I could try cutting one angle...

so I can have the trim stripes on the gable! which I really loved do you think they would go with the white trim? or would it be too busy?

Also I have a rock pile I have collected and need it moved out front so that would be perfect use for it!

I'll dig out the pretty ones and use them.
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I like this one the best, and the trim around the windows would be easy as I've done it before and it matches the ones on the side so I would not have to redo that.

there is not any angles I love the angles but they don't love me ha!

I would love to add a window box.

If your not too busy could you maybe add red or black stripes to the gable?

If you think it would look ok if you think it's better with out you can just tell me. :)

I'm going to try to make this come together so I'm going to start on it!

Thanks so much S. heaven for making it fit in with the side that is done and blending all the ideas together!!!

(((((((((((((((one big hig for all your hard work!)))))))

I know it takes a lot of time to do all those and for someone you don't even know!!

Thanks again!

Crystal in Oregon

• koidom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I like the red strips i think it ties it together so well on the gables and I could add another stright piece of trim on the bottom of the gables.

{{!gwi}}

Like you have here and maybe next year paint the trim yellow as thats going to be a huge back breaking job to paint underneath.

• maymo
    14 years ago

Wow, what a beauty! I think the welcome sign and flower box should be painted to match the new house colors.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Love the red stripes! Totally adorable. In the original insp pic, I think the ones on the gable were just painted, not actually done with trim, but glad to hear you have some trim there you can paint out!

I did resize those shutters, so you'll have to make new ones to fit. I was thinking you had made them, but maybe not.

So glad you're going ahead with it : )) And you're welcome.

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Might as well do the black, lol. Looks very nice. I prefer either only the gable, or the gable but leaving the peak stripe red. The black stripe across the base of the peak is a bit strong to me (distracting). The last of these three sits nicely and best, imo. I think it's my favorite, all red stripes next.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• pugga
    14 years ago

I am so glad you're doing the trim stripe. I think it really pulls the look together.

You have such an adorable cottage and you're so creative and have a great eye. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do!

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Here's the darker swatch #3 (looks mustardy, when removed from the black ground), and one of the lighter creamier ones (sort of a mix of two of those).

Compatible Cream is a popular yellow (cream) for exteriors. Zipdee has her house painted in it and it's currently posted, if you care to look it up. Think it's a SW color?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

What a great thread! I missed the boat on chiming in but want to say what inspiring ideas you have koidom! and Squirrel is just amazing with her photoshopping!
    So how about a tutorial on making our own trellis's like you did? It may be obviously simple to do to you, but I wouldnt know where to start. Love your cottage! and your rooster matches my dogs!

• koidom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I love this one with the planter box background yellow and the red trim!

Goos idea maymo and Squirrel did a amazing job with her photoshopping it into use!
    {{!gwi}}

Love it!

I'll go look at Zipdee's house see if I can find it :)

cooperbailey I can give more details on the trellis's :)

• mikacharlie
    14 years ago

Koidom, WOW. And Squirrelheaven,you're both amazing. I can't believe how involved I got waiting for the next combination to pop up. I didn't think I could like any of the photoshopped options better than one of the first UNTIL you posted the one with turqoise. WOW. Just up my alley.

Koidom, I'm new here and don't know if one can search all posts by a member. So, how do I find your post on your living room?

I've been in the renovation from hell in a little 1200 sq.ft. 1890 house and could use some advice in many areas. Will have to learn how to post pics and start asking questions.

Thanks you guys. A wonderful time!

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

You can just search for 'Koidom' in the search box at the bottom of the Main page. That was last year or so, so it will likely have been deleted. Why do they do that?!?

Maybe Crystal will post her living room pics again? Too bad the whole thread isn't there though, watching her work her magic.

Maybe start a new thread since this one is picture heavy.

(And thanks, too, Mika : )

• koidom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks!

I'm hoping it will come out as nice as the photoshoping!

Everyone has been so helpful.

I think this link will take you to my blog where the pictures of my living room are but I doubt it will be of much use..lol It's a very odd space with a ton of doors way plus I like odd things and bright colors and don't have a style other then to collect things close to natrue and thing that have meaning to me.......

:)

Here is a link that might be useful: http://trinitymare.blogspot.com/2008/09/living-room.html

• denali2007
    14 years ago

WOW I love the red and gold/cream. It looks wonderful. It matches the rooster. Those trellises are beautiful. You could go into business making those. Good luck with your painting.