SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
izzie_gw

re-finishing black walnut table

izzie
16 years ago

I inherited my great grandmothers dining table. It is a bit rustic but nice. It folds down on either side and can get quite small, it also has about five leafs in good shape. Someone at one time re-finished top but legs are original. Varnish was dirty and cracked. I did not want to strip so saw that using mineral spirits "melts" and smooths, if it is the old type of shelac..That worked well. Now onto the top. About the time I was going to do something with that.(had it covered with a moving blanket) my husband sat a styrofoam cooler that leaked on top of it. I didn't discover until too late. There are now black discoloration where moisture got it.(Yes my husband still lives) I am not sure how I can "fix" this, I am at a standstill for a year now trying to find out what to do. I really do not want to remove old finish but may have to. Someone suggested dabbing on bleach. Any suggestions. I am usually a disaster waiting to happen on my projects so any helpful simple solutions would be great....Can't afford hundreds if not thousands to get professionally done.

Comments (8)