FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
kjmama_gw

trends of the last 10 years - for one who lives under a rock

kjmama
11 years ago

For the last ten years I've been either in graduate school, working or mothering. No awareness of the decorating world (maybe except I noticed stainless steel appliances - lol)

Anyhow we have moved to a house and need to remodel, decorate... make home. What have the trends been the last ten years? What is the forecast? Anyone want to help one who has lived under a rock?:)

Thanks!

Comments (39)

• dilettante_gw
    11 years ago

By a long shot, the biggest trend is the emphasis on going green. This includes making homes more energy- and water-efficient, and using sustainably produced and salvaged materials and low VOC (or no VOC) paints. There is even a growing movement (spear-headed by architect Susan Susanka) to build SAMLLER homes. Every manufacturer claims that their products are green, even when they're not.

Here are some smaller, more specific, building and decorating trends (many of which contradict my previous point), in no particular order:

1) Kitchens are getting larger and larger and are usually open to the family room and/or dining room. Open floor plans are extremely popular in general.

2) Kitchen appliances are becoming more and more specialized, and people are installing more of them. (This trend has been going on for more than 10 years but has gained traction in the last few years.) Twenty years ago, all but very high-end kitchens had no more than three major kitchen appliances (stove, refrigerator, and dishwasher), along with a toaster, counter-top microwave, and coffee maker. Now even mid-range kitchens often have double ovens, a warming drawer, a separate 6-burner (or greater) cooktop, a wine cooler, refrigerator drawers (in addition to a separate large refrigerator), two dishwashers, multiple sinks, a pot filler, an instant hot water faucet at the main sink, and so forth. Dishwashers, microwaves, and refrigerators now come in drawer models. Stainless steel is still the most prestigious appliance finish.

3) White kitchens are still very popular.

4) Full-extension, soft-close drawers are replacing many of the lower cabinets in kitchens.

5) Granite countertops aren't going away anytime soon (unless fuel prices increase sharply).

6) In master baths, everyone seems to want separate showers and tubs, along with dual sinks. Ideally, showers are big enough for two and have multiple showerheads. Steam showers are a huge status symbol.

7) New homes contain enormous master suites with coffered ceilings, gargantuan walk-in closets, and the aforementioned master bath.

8) Many new homes contain media rooms.

9) Bathroom tile installations seem to be getting more and more elaborate, on both floors and walls. Natural stone is preferred over porcelain and ceramic. Pebble stone floors in showers are popular. Floor tile is getting bigger and bigger, and large tile is being used everywhere, even when it's not stylistically appropriate. 16" and even 20" tiles are not uncommon.

1. Three-car garages are becoming more common.

2. Laundry rooms are moving to the floor where the dirty laundry is generated. (Fortunately, newer laundry appliances are quieter and vibrate less than older ones.)

• newdawn1895
    11 years ago
    1. Let's not forget the gym and game room dilettante.
    2. And of course the outdoor kitchen (this is so three years ago) (lol!)

Why do we need so much, that's not the question. I'm going to keep mine simple.

Tiole
    Stainless steel
    Going green and the color green
    Pottery Barn (anything at)
    Restoration Hardware
    garden tubs
    Craigslist
    Restoring Historical homes
    Lofts
    MCmansions (especially)
    1950's ranch homes
    Shabby chic
    hot tubs (in the southeast and out west especially)
    eclectic (the word)
    gas fireplaces complete with remote control (I miss the smell and cracking of wood)
    Black and white photographs
    Plasma television sets (the bigger the better)
    Anything turquoise (including jewelry)
    Salvation Army and Good Will
    Sea Shells
    silver photo frames
    Salvaged wood pieces
    Hardwood floors
    Making new things look old
    Making old things look new
    Decorating Diva's
    decorating blogs
    decorating television shows
    hardware stores
    double ovens
    high thread count sheets
    offices
    Martha Stewart (although the old broad has been around forever, in the last ten years she became a house hold word.)
    Food (cooking)
    Big weddings
    Big Divorce's

I could think of a million other things but I am going antiquing today. And this will never go out of style, thank goodness.

......Jane

• Related Discussions

Does ANY Washer last 10+ years now??

Q

Comments (122)
    Good for you, except for scarcity of the replacement pump. Did you check eBay for new or used pumps? The Fisher & Paykel toploader that I bought in 1999 carried on for 22 years until it went dead a few months ago, apparently due to a water leak of some ilk that zapped the controller board. My nephew had been using it for several years after it had passed through two other family members after myself, with one repair in 2011 (pump replacement). They live 2-1/4 hrs away and have a new baby so it wasn't a viable scenario for me to investigate it. They bought a used LG, a couple years old from someone who was moving and couldn't take it along. Anyway, appliance longevity statistics are a moving target. A machine that went for 10 years until a failure today was bought 10 years ago so is not as much relevant to expectations for one bought new next week.
    ...See More

10 decorating trends you wish would go away, yea or nea??

Q

Comments (39)
    I'm sorry for your loss, Joyce. Evidently everyone who stages a kitchen for a photo shoot. lol I wasn't including staging in my comment. My comments were for real people with real homes. Yes, fleur de lis and "bling." Like Donna Decorates Dallas, or whatever the name of that show was... ugh. I wonder how much time people with open concept spend cleaning up these areas in order to take pictures they want to post on GW. Rarely do I see pictures of a "lived in" open concept space. lol See my post above - I am a neat freak. The house is neat unless DH is home, but I don't think anyone wants to see his feet on the coffee table. If I needed to pick up for pictures, it would take less than 2 minutes. Neat freak... nicer than saying a bit OCD. Another trend I hope at least evolves is the ALL WHITE everything. OMGeez, yes! Or a room or house all shades of gray. I guess I've never been a trend-follower. Instead of buying the latest thing currently trending, I'd rather have my money in savings. I'm not criticizing anyone who does, that's just my lifestyle. I do like trends, and love seeing all the trendy decorating here on GW. Antlers, taxidermy, etc have always been around. I've had my collection at least 6 years, and only started seeing them scattered in Veranda, Southern Accents and Architectural Digest (and in local antique stores) a few years before. A few years before that, I saw plenty in Europe. I am tired of the white porcelain versions someone mentioned. I agree everyone should save, and if not debt free should be working towards it.
    ...See More

Replacing one trend with another trend.

Q

Comments (8)
    I was reminded by this thread of this Meryl Streep classic from The Devil Wears Prada: "This... 'stuff'? Oh... ok. I see, you think this has nothing to do with you. You go to your closet and you select out, oh I don't know, that lumpy blue sweater, for instance, because you're trying to tell the world that you take yourself too seriously to care about what you put on your back. But what you don't know is that that sweater is not just blue, it's not turquoise, it's not lapis, it's actually cerulean. You're also blindly unaware of the fact that in 2002, Oscar de la Renta did a collection of cerulean gowns. And then I think it was Yves St Laurent, wasn't it, who showed cerulean military jackets? And then cerulean quickly showed up in the collections of eight different designers. Then it filtered down through the department stores and then trickled on down into some tragic "casual corner" where you, no doubt, fished it out of some clearance bin. However, that blue represents millions of dollars and countless jobs and so it's sort of comical how you think that you've made a choice that exempts you from the fashion industry when, in fact, you're wearing the sweater that was selected for you by the people in this room. From a pile of 'stuff.'"
    ...See More

Who else has gone past the one year mark, and not done yet?

Q

Comments (52)
    We re about to hit the 7 month mark of no stove, with another 2 months until permits get approved for propane. Demo was in Nov, our punch list is long, our stove is in but not hooked up, our venthood does not work, parts of the counter have been missing for months and I need to paint so much it is overwhelming. I have painted approx half of what needs doing (the entire interior, minus our sons' room needs doing, including painting stained moldings and window trim and new primed window trim and moldings). Then, I get to finish a small section of exterior and paint the garage door. Once the interior is painted, and money allows, we need to rip up the dr and new den floor and put down new wood floors. We need to rip up our new kitchen floor for another one to be determined. Then, the backyard that got chewed up by machines will need fixing and we need a new fence (old ugly one had to get half torn down in the process). I expect to get the interior done in approx 4 months and the rest by Spring. We'll be right around the 1 year mark, if we are lucky! (I am not even thinking of how long until the bs....)
    ...See More
  • amck2
    11 years ago

We built a lakehouse several years ago that I had to furnish from scratch. At the time it was hard to find cottage-style furniture/window dressing/rugs, etc. that wasn't cutesy or rustic.

After leafing through mainstream home furnishing catalogs I received recently I commented to DH that they are full of the things I worked so hard to track down a couple years ago.

Seems like the uncluttered, comfortable cottage look that harks back to less complicated times (beadboard, ticking stripes, painted furniture, etc.) is now a trend.

• happyintexas
    11 years ago

It always drives me crazy when someone talks about the architecture of the house as a decorating item. lol I can't change my basic house (yet) so I need to decorate with paint, furniture, window treatments, and doo-dads instead of adding rooms, windows, or appliances. For example, in a recent issue of House Beautiful the article touted the appeal of white (or blue, maybe--I can't look because I've given the issue to a friend) but all I remember seeing is the stunning ocean view out the windows. Frankly, my dear, all the inside decorating anyone does in that house is second to those windows and that view.

I don't have that, so my house needs a loving touch with color and style.

Just my not so humble opinion, of course.(and not directed at any particular poster...just some thoughts I've had as I read these boards) If you have dollars to spend to remodel, then adding and subtracting on an architectural scale is available.

Trends...

The Tuscan look has been rampant for several years. I love it, but I'm personally feeling it feel too heavy and dark lately. My tastes (and a growing trend) seems to be an uncluttered, unfussy cottage style like amck said. More soft whites with splashes of color, cozy fabrics, and painted or aged furniture.

Another trend for several years has been color on the walls. Lots of great colors. I'm wondering if that is changing, too.

I'd be happy if my trend included a cleaner house. lol

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    11 years ago

window treatments: roman blinds; bamboo blinds; wood blinds are popular.

Simple panels on either side of window with rod placed higher than window.

• silkvelvet
    11 years ago

Walking down my road.. plasma HD flatscreens, leather sofas, Venetian blinds, canvas prints of cityscapes and roses, 1970s style wallpapers.

urgh

• franksmom_2010
    11 years ago

I've been lurking on these forums for months, and haven't seen anyone else mention this, but if I were remodeling, I would add as many handicap accessible features as possible. Not saying that you need to lower all of your counters, but bathrooms in particular- wider doorways, wider areas surrounding the toilet, functional grab bars in showers and baths, maybe a shower with a sloped floor, so there's no step, etc.

My Mom came to stay with us after a surgery, mostly because her house wasn't acceptable with her temporary limitations on a walker and scooter. It became so obvious to us on the first day how many simple changes could be made in a house that could accomodate someone with a disability. I think as more and more people age in this country, and people are able to stay in their homes well into their golden years, these types of changes will become more and more important. And it's not just the elderly. What if you broke your ankle, and had to be on crutches for six weeks?

We realized on the second day, that there was no way that she would be able to get in and out of either bathtub...one is a narrow fiberglass tub/surround, with a sliding glass door mounted on the edge of the tub (you can't sit on it to transfer) and the other is a ridiculous garden tub. You have to go up a step to even get to it, and then the tub is quite deep, too deep for her to raise her knee to get in and out.

I think sometimes in all of the decorating excess and luxury that is sold to us as the next hot thing, consumers, and certainly vendors, forget about the actual daily use and maintence of all of these doo-dads. Sometimes I see people post pics of luxurious rooms, and everyone oohhs and aaahhhs, but all I can think of is what a maintenace or safety nightmare it is. Do you have kids? Pets? Is anyone in the house mobility challenged? Do you have a housekeeper? How much do you like to dust, wash, or take things to the dry cleaner? Is your furniture easy for most people to get on and off of? Could your Grandma sit comfortably in those chairs? Is it sturdy enough for an obese person to sit on?

Deep in my heart, I'm kind of a cranky old lady, so take all that for what it's worth. Just something to think about.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Happyintexas, I have to disagree about architecture not being a part of decorating. Before we remodeled and added-on, everything was squared, from the entryways to rooms.

But we added a few architectural details to give the house more character, like an older home would have. We actually made our modernish home look like an older home inside, on purpose!

Franksmom, we have some friends who moved into a beautiful home which had been specifically built for the handicap. Well, the most noticeable part was the wide hallways & the Bidet. lol I loved it!

Kjmama, next time you're at the store grab several magazines on homes and you'll get a good idea about what people are doing now. And you can find a decorating style you might like!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Ditto what franksmom said. Wider doorways and accessible bathrooms! It isn't just old folks (including myself). A friend of mine had to redo for her daughter after a skiing accident years ago-roll-in shower and all.

I would also have a bedroom level laundry if there isn't one already.

Other than those things, go with what you like. Trends are just that and unless you plan to sell in a few years, trends of today will be old by then. Some things never do out of style-white kitchens are an example, I think. Buy some magazines and see what "makes your heart sing" as someone else here once said (love that).

• folkvictorian
    11 years ago

I think many styles of furniture have become smaller in the past 10 years. In the 80's and 90's when all of the humongous homes were being built, huge oversized furniture was the norm to fill those big big rooms. [See Exhibit A below, from somebody's listing on Craigslist]

In 2001/2002 we were trying to furnish a small 1926 Tudor in Minneapolis and the available living room chairs and sofas were all the size of giant fluffy battleships. Anything on the small side was intended for dorms or efficiency apartments and had all of the comfort and style of a plywood box.

Now that the economy has slowed, some new homes are being built with smaller rooms. In response, furniture designers and manufacturers have less of the huge chairs and sofas and instead carry many more average-sized items with great style.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• shappy
    11 years ago

Dilettante

Not to be a brat, but do you realize how contradictory your statements are?

You state 'going green' is a big trend and then list how much bigger kitchens are becoming and have tons of more appliances.

Not only would that consume tons more energy to use all of those appliances but energy, environmental impact to produce and energy to get to location (think boat from China). There's nothing 'green' about that--I'd call that faux 'green'. Really being environmentally green would be producing things that last and using things as long as they are functional (instead of just no longer in style).
    Now that wouldn't be as much fun, I admit, but would be much more truly 'green.' :)
    ok back under my rock!!

• natal
    11 years ago

Shappy, I guess you missed this line ... Here are some smaller, more specific, building and decorating trends (many of which contradict my previous point), in no particular order:

• krycek1984
    11 years ago

The biggest and most broad-based trend I've seen is stainless steel appliances and I just don't get it. They are about the biggest fingerprint magnets I've ever encountered in my entire life. Not only that, but you can't just use standard issue windex or green clean to get it off...no you have to use stupid stainless steel stuff.

Black appliances for me, kthx

• dilettante_gw
    11 years ago

Shappy, as Natal pointed out, I did say that some of the trends ARE contradictory.

For some of these, there may be a kind of compensatory thinking going on -- i.e., "My house is super energy-efficient, so I can allow myself twice as many appliances as I had in my old, inefficient house without feeling guilty."

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Also, Dilettante, you weren't making the news, you were just reporting it!

As I recall, when in highscool during the 1970's, the mini skirt was "in" the same year that the maxi skirt was also at the height of style.

The marketing strategists are no dummies. They need to get everyone's money! So, the girls with great legs bought short skirts & the girls with different assets bought long!

Lots more $$$ spent when trends are diverse/contradictory. Something for everybody!

• happyintexas
    11 years ago

Oaklyok, I agree adding details makes the house more interesting. I guess I wonder where decorating ends and a full scale reno begins. I suppose it depends on how much sawdust is involved.

I didn't mean to sound cranky (to borrow someone else's term.) I have a house full of teenaged boys this week. Very fun people, but definitely noisy and distracting. I didn't make my point (vague as it was) very well.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Darling, you have the luxury of ignoring fashion and going straight to style! The best houses I know are founded on a thorough examination and analysis of the life that is lived in them...good design begins with understanding your needs, and once you know exactly what you want your house to do, and what you need in it to make you feel at home, then you can think about what trends to investigate, and what look you want to apply to the underlying spaces.

If you love to cook and entertain, a generous, well planned kitchen with plenty of pantry space and room for a big table is a trend to think about. If you are crazy book-heavy and love to watch movies and listen to music, a wall full of shelves and another full of A/V equipment with lots of comfy seating is for you. If you are a clothes horse, a big, well-planned closet. If you are a collector and a neat freak, carefully designed display space and storage.

And I like to think about the feeling I want, and the colors I want to live with, and then work out which schemes best accomplish those aims. If pale and airy and peaceful and fresh with lots of blue and white and natural colors is what I'm after, I'd look at coastal schemes. If rich and luxurious and abundant with warm reds and golds and lots of decorative elements made me happy, I'd think about Venice. If sleek and simple and uncluttered with black and white and a few gleaming colors called to me, I'd think about classic New York style modern.

Like that.

• nicole__
    11 years ago

Going green examples....A huge kitchen with pull out trash bins...each one is to recycle a different substance.

Slip covered furniture! That is HUGE right now! You buy a brand new sofa that's slip covered. It looks like you went green by not throwing away your last sofa and slipcovering it! See......?

Now back to trends.
    * Pillar candle sticks, altho tapers are still around.
    *Dark wood furniture.
    *Wing back chairs or bat wing chairs have made a come back, but with more modern fabric in most cases OR BIG nailhead trim.
    *Layering pillows, 2-3 stacked on the arm of a couch. 6-10 stacked on a bed.
    *Polished brass is OUT, but antiqued brass or bronze is in.
    *Ceramic garden seats are so "IN" you can use them indoors or out.
    *Using 2 small tables instead of one BIG coffee table is in.

• htnspz
    11 years ago

I think while you are looking for the trends for the last 10 years, you should keep in mind that they are prevalent during the boom years. Our economy's consumption and materialism got carried away at a time of high credit and high spending years. Do NOT look towards these years for inspiration!
    What you want to do is to get an idea of where the future of interior design/decor lies. I do think it lies on smaller scale remodeling. I think design has gotten and will get even more cozy and more human scaled. I think a lot of the more luxury items (steam baths, media rooms etc) will stay significantly reduced.
    I think one of the most important concepts was relayed in Bronwyn's post about designing for your life. Because I believe of this, I'm not sure I would buy into making your house handicap accessible (unless you live in a retirement area). In my opinion, that's not designing for your life. That's designing for a life you *might* have one day.
    The future does have more green design and we can definitely be mindful of that.
    When I think about designing, I like to use an order or operations. The first and most important step is regarding the architecture of the home. It serves to lead the design in a direction and as a result will look less dated in the long term.
    If the home lacks in architectural detail, I think about adding some relevant details. An example of this in my own home is that I own a Spanish style home. I find my living area to be a bit lacking in architectural detail so I plan on adding wood beams to the ceiling. There are other less expensive details that can be made in other types of homes like beadboard wallpaper in cottagey interiors etc. I love how it lends a layering and depth to the decor.
    That being said, there nothing wrong with playing with some trendy decor items. I, personally, wouldn't spend a lot of money on them but if you like the look, go for it. I've seen a lot of slipcovered furniture, seagrass rugs, zebra prints, and ethnic prints.

• scarlett2001
    11 years ago

One big trend I can do without is the grey/beige/no color/ color scheme. Or even worse, that inexplicable color that resembles the inside of a Three Muskateers bar.

• kjmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone for your thought. Scarlett you crack me up with the three muskateers bar - lol
    You guys are so helpful.

Our emphasis is really more now on decorating, we just did a tiny bit of remodeling - new potty, (will put new floors - more on that problem soon), hole in a wall, a few new light fixtures..... NOW I have to decorate, yikes....

I want to include a few trends, and I want to be careful not to over trend. I don't want our house to look like it was "done" in a particular era if you know what I mean. SO, not knowing the trends, I might just be choosing things that are trendy and not know it... Follow? :)

You guys are the best - thanks!

• art_teacher_mom
    11 years ago

Just DON'T put: shiny brass, white ceramic tile (not counting subway), navy/cranberry/hunter green, floral wallpaper/borders, golden oak, colored cultured marble, prom-dress drapes, popcorn ceilings, wall-to-wall carpet, and you should be ok. :)

• pharaoh
    11 years ago

The following have been banished from decoration-
    -Oak
    -Brass
    - Floral patterns in drapes, sofas, wallpaper, bedding, dresses
    - 4x4, 6x6 ceramic tiles
    - More the 1/8" grout
    - w2w carpeting
    - valances
    - faux finishing
    - linoleum
    - large vanities
    - large mirrors
    - br*ss anything
    - entertainment centers (especially made of oak)
    - wall paneling
    - brick anything
    - pastel anything

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Phooey.
    Oak is IN if it is dark

Good Brass has never been out and is IN right now

Florals- totally depends on the pattern and colors

Ceramic tiles- the size isn't that important, the
    look/material is

Grout, yes, keep it small

Brick...never been out. GOOD brick, that is.

Pastels are colors. What colors are you talking about? Yes, mauve and light blue are out. Ecru and cream are not.

I crave wall paneling so I can paint it. Cheap and thin, no. Real stuff, yes.

Valances...hmmm.

Large mirrors from Hobby Lobby, yes, out. Beautiful unique ones, no.

Cranberry, Hunter Green, Navy...just not all three at once.

Elaborate draperies? Only if the architecture can support it.

• kjmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Now this is getting interesting:) Love the don'ts :)

So, what are the current do's that are bound to be don'ts?

• nicole__
    11 years ago

Bumblebeez.....I agree! Quality IS IN!

How about curtains.....no more traverse rods. You hang pinch pleated curtains from little clips on decorative rods. Grommet topped are IN or hemmed tops with little clips are IN. It's ALL about using a decorative rod. Roman shades made of burlap or other highly textured fabric is in.

Then lamp shades. Burlap on a drum shade is IN. Drum shade chandys are IN.

The current DO's that are bound to be don'ts? Well I've seen jacobean flowered curtains and wingbacks....but just any flowered print isn't in....

Monochromatic decorating is IN! Black and white with aqua pillows for instance. But.....some are not so thrilled about the color watermelon or a bright yellow.

Baby turtle is a favorite wall color....so a subdued green is still a favorite, but a lime green wall turns up every now and then in a victorian layout in a magazine. :0)

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Me again...

Let me quote the Mother of Us All, Elsie DeWolfe, dead now for 60 years but eternal in American decorating, who said it all when she said, "Suitability, suitability, suitability!"

So the first question I'd ask is, who are you decorating for? Yourself, your family, your friends, your mother-in-law...?
    If your house satisfies you, makes you feel happy to be there and pleased with yourself, and makes the conduct of your daily life both easy to manage and heart filling, then you will be so adorable and charming that anyone who comes to see you will think your house is wonderful, because they love being there with you.

And the next thing I would charge you with doing is educating your eye. You've been a busy girl, and now you can revel in the books and magazines that show you all the wonderful ways that people arrange and color the places they live in.

When I had a new client who was unsure or inexperienced in design, I handed them two different colored packages of post-its and a stack of books and magazines, and asked them to spend the next two weeks going through and flagging everything they loved with one color, and everything they hated with the other...without analyzing or thinking, oh, I could never afford that, or I never thought of that, or anything else that stopped them from marking things they reacted to.

Then we sat down and looked through everything to see what all those attractions and aversions had in common, what specific things in a picture call to him/her, and what to avoid; and began to establish a guiding framework.
    By the time you finish with an exercise like that, you have revealed patterns in your taste and your thinking that you may not have known were there. Are your favorite rooms full of things to see, or spare and uncluttered? Are they wide open and full of light, or are they cozy and enveloping? Are both those things represented? Are you drawn to open light kitchens and warm private reading rooms? Do you absolutely hate little rooms, or red walls, or chintz, or hard square surfaces?

That's what I think your next steps should be. Make a 3-ring binder to put things in. Collect anything that inspires you...ads, postcards, pictures of paintings, bits of fabric, natural things...anything you feel drawn to. In addition to current magazines and new books, go to the library and look at design books (and magazines if they have them) from the last 20 years, because trends that are out of fashion will look dated, and things that endure will still look good after time. Another sneaky little resource I recommend, to tell you what appeals to you, is the websites of good hotels...look at the accommodations sections to see bedrooms and sitting rooms that make you want to be there.

The point is, develop a clear idea before you start. It's great fun to do, and costs practically nothing, and saves immeasurably in the long run.

I shut up now...

• suero
    11 years ago

Bronwynsmom:
    Bravo!

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

No, Bronwynsmom, don't shut up! Can't get enough of your wisdom, expressed so beautifully, as always. I echo Suero's sentiments... bravo! You have exquisite taste, & I have come to look forward to reading anything you have to say about anything!

Wish I'd known about you four years ago, when I first moved into this house. I only succeeded in making a mess of things & wasting money. Today I live with the results, unable to figure out what, if anything, is salvagable, or if I should just start all over. I experience angst & anxiety over this daily.

Didn't know about GW 4 yrs. ago! Sure wish I had.

• jlc712
    11 years ago

In my neck of the woods:
    (Disclaimer: things I often see, NOT necessarily things I like)
    1. "Open concept", great rooms, etc.
    2. Hardwood floors
    3. Walls painted colors, white trim
    4. Granite countertops
    5. Stainless appliances
    6. Dark woods/cabinets
    7. Stucco and faux stone exteriors
    8. Some rustic/painted pieces of furniture
    9. Huge clocks, oversized pieces of pottery

1. Subway tile, vessel sinks
    2. Vinyl stick-on wall sayings or quotations
    3. Black painted cabinets/furniture/decor
    4. Decorative iron wall hangings
    5. Flat screen TVs, wiring for surround sound/wireless internet etc
    6. Beadboard

Love Bronwynsmom's suggestions-- I keep a little dream binder of pictures of things I love, although my dream house will probably never happen!

• kjmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone, these are great! I will collect a little like folder, good idea. I also like the idea of looking at old books to see what still looks good and what is dated:) Great suggestions.

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

In my Northern NJ area, hardwood floors are in, big porcelain tiles or natural stone tiles in the kitchen and foyers are in, granite countertops in or anything that can pass for granite, huge clocks are in, distressed furniture is in, Cherry and Mahogany furniture is in as well as furniture with shades of white in the kitchen and bedrooms, Stainless Appliances are in, decorative stone is in, flat screen TV's (I have this in my bedroom but still not in my family room), beadboard, backsplashes, open concept plans, white trim, hardware on kitchen cabinets (I still want to do once I decide if I am painting them or replacing them), high hats in the kitchen is in, and window blinds (i.e., honeycomb blinds, venetian blinds,silhouette blinds), crown molding (I want this), and more drawers in the kitchen to replace some of the cabinets.

• prairiedawnpam
    11 years ago

"Anything turquoise (including jewelry)"

Magenta and purple seem to be hot, too, but just because a color is trendy doesn't mean I'd go for it unless I really loved it. Case in point, I have a lot of khaki walls that depress me. I'd never wear the color so why should I decorate with it?

Bronwyn's Mom is right on! Thank you for that post.

I really hope that by the time I'm finished decorating the way I want my home to be that some of my choices that are "out" become in again. Its no wonder that new, heirloom quality furniture is do difficult to find these days. People worry more about trends than quality.

...Pam

• claire_de_luna
    11 years ago

Just to reinforce the idea of making your home more user-friendly, the ''trend'' is called Universal Design. It's described in Wikipedia this way: ''Universal design refers to a broad-spectrum solution that produces buildings, products and environments that are usable and effective for everyone, not just people with disabilities.''

We did this in 2005-2007 in the kitchen and bathroom. Along with those UD principals like raising electrical outlets, light switches and lever handles, we added some distinct architectural elements to the rooms like picture rails with rope lighting, a coffered ceiling, transom windows, etc. Also very nice are things that add comfort like heated floors, extra lighting (whether you think you'll use it or not, because you will), and organizational infrastructure. One of things I like most in my bathroom is the no threshold, open curved shower. With no glass door to clean, my small bathroom is much more open, not to mention easier to use. The heated floor goes into the shower which dries it quickly so no mold issues makes a nicer space.

Regarding stainless steel appliances, I agree they are fingerprint magnets. Ugh. Paneled appliances seemed ''ultimate'' to me, which I knew was the right way to go when I caught an old movie one night called ''Broadcast News''. Charles Grodin had a paneled fridge in his kitchen, which still seemed current for the 1980's.

We added our space to the kitchen, and kept the bathroom and garage the same...very small by today's standards. What was ''green'' about it was making one large(r) bathroom more luxurious for the whole house (instead of adding another). As far as the garage goes, we just downsized a car, for More Space, and Better Gas Mileage!

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Excellent post, claire...I think heated floors are one of the best additions to the modern repertoire.
    And the re-thinking of space and its uses for modern life has taken us all in wonderful new directions. I'm a missionary about finding a way to use every inch of your house for living in (including great storage, of course).
    The advent of LEED and greener thinking in general is a fine thing, too, so long as "green" doesn't become the latest must-have meaningless claim on every product and service known to man. Caveat emptor!

• scarlett2001
    11 years ago

I realize this is a Dumb Question, but:
    What exactly in a house is brass? All I can think of is fireplace stuff or maybe a brass bed.

And..WHY is brass "Out" other than somebody on HGTV said so.

And re: the oak, you're not including floors, are you?? Gulp.

• wi-sailorgirl
    11 years ago

To the OP:

Make sure to check out www.houzz.com. You can flip through hundreds (thousands, really) of pictures of different spaces and just click on the ones you like to save them to a 'folder.' After some time, go back to your folder and look at everything you liked and see what kind of themes are common throughout and you will get a great idea of what your design aesthetic is.

We have a very eclectic sort of beachy-feel house so when it came time to do new bathroom I thought we'd do something similar. I created a bathrooms folder on houzz and when I flipped through it, every bathroom was modern and many had wood! (I paint everything white). So that's the direction we're going for our bathroom. I never would have thought of it if I hadn't spotted that trend in my houzz folder. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Houzz

• calirose
    11 years ago

One of the reasons I don't post much - I am not into trends. We built with the intention of staying into retirement - not knowing at the time if we would be here or not. Wide halls, doorways, few steps from garage to house (which could be converted to ramp if need be), house on one level.

Also, we put in what we liked. As an artist I love color, BUT I cannot live in colored walls! Greys, beiges, tans look dirty to me; other colors can make be depressed or feel closed in. We have all white walls which I love because I can change out pictures, etc with ease. White feels clean, open and airy.

We have lived here 18 years and I still am in love with my home because I have what feels comfortable to me.