SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tetrazzini

solid wood panels in F & P cabinetry? what wood 4 kit cabs?

tetrazzini
16 years ago

Does anyone ever use solid wood in the panels? My boss veneers his own MDF panels and insists I'm crazy to use solid wood for this. I'm planning to make my own kitchen cabinets, mostly because I'll love doing it. And I won't love working with sheet materials. I love solid wood and that's what I want to work with. (I might recycle some plywood sides from my current cabinets to use as sides or backs. But I don't want to use it in the doors or sides that will show.) I don't believe solid panels can't be stable, because I have several antiques that have solid wood panels, and there are no problems. I plan to paint the cabinets, again, because that's the look I want.

Has anyone used solid wood for panels? What do you think?

Another question is what wood to use. I'd planned on poplar (I have a jointer, so I'll be starting with rough lumber) but my boss says he thinks it's not that stable and prefers soft maple. (I've seen some very unstable soft maple too, tho!) And I read a post here saying that poplar was soft for a kitchen. Given that the cabinets will be painted, what woods do you think would be good?

Thanks very much,

Debbie

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County