SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patches123_gw

Cabinets for back hall...mods..will this work?

patches123
17 years ago

I posted on kitchens too, but then thought this might be the better place.

The hall I want to add cabinets to for coats and shoe storage is 30" wide. The hall is 50" deep but with another door at the end of the wall, really 20 - 21" is the max depth I can have for a cabinet.

I have looked everywhere I can think and I am trying to do this cheap so down the road I can do the "ideal" solution of moving the bathroom door and taking some of the bathroom for a real closet.

I was thinking of getting the 24" base drawers and then putting this 24" utility cabinet over it. They are 16.5" deep and I found some hangers that are 15" and my coats should just barely fit. Was thinking I could use the drawers for shoes, dog leashes etc.

My ceilings are 108" so it should fit and I can hang the clothes rod at about 75" as we are both very tall. I was then going to add a sheet of beadboard on the sides to help it tie in with the adjacent kitchen.

Will this work? Structurally? Any issues that you can think of.

Some on kitchens suggested it was too shallow and that I should scrap the cabinets and just use a coat hook.

While the bench and hook idea is pretty, I want this all behind closed doors. I have a bench and hooks and I hate looking at it from my kitchen and dining room - that is one down side of open plans.

I bought the shallower hangers and with the coat on its 16". I could always use the hooks behind the doors or the Ikea pull out hanger, but I would rather have a rod and hang the coats that way.

If I could take the back off the cabinet and then attach it to the wall about 3" - 4" out, using a 2*4 then I would be closer to 20 - 21".

Or add some molding to the front to move it out 3" and then hang the doors from the new molding. I would have to have new hinge holes made though.

I was planning to add beadboard to the sides anyway, so I am not too concerned about the sides.

Most of the furniture wardrobes I have looked at are 20" deep, altough some are the 16" like this one. Its just they are all about 40" long instead of 30" or under.

I guess I am more worried about it being structurally OK to stack them and/or modify the back. And no contractor here, its just a DIY.

What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: 24

Comment (1)