SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
izzie_gw

Rotten windows

izzie
17 years ago

New here and looks like a lot of great info. Here's my story. My house is about 15 yrs old. Last year notice paint on wood sliders looking shabby and was going to re-paint this year. It was too late. In the lower corners the wood is rotten, even went into the brick mold.. Never was too happy with the windows from the beginning. Almost looks like the rotted from the inside out..Of course I get a lot of, you should have..used oil, noticed it b4 this. blah blah..A friend had a independent contractor replace some of hers with Pella alum. clad from home depot.He used new construction sizes available(no special orders) and cut off the flanges and built up, whatever correct term, and framed out window. I looks pretty good...Any nay sayers on this type of installation, sorry don't have exact details. I don't have much money (stay at home mom and hubby lost job 5 yrs ago hasn't had any luck finding anything close so took a lower paying job) I would rather not replace with wood, really like what has been said about the fiberglass but may be out of my price range, may have to go with vinyl...I know, cheap sometimes cost more in the long run. I have patched up the best I could on failing windows, would like to get front 4 replaced right away....Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. We are not overly handy with a hammer so would have to hire someone to do this.

Comments (9)