SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katmu_gw

Opinions on High Quality Windows & General House Efficiency pleas

katmu
9 years ago

After some family issues this year, I'm back to trying to plan my new house. I'm planning to build a one level home of around 1600 square feet plus a walkout basement in Minnesota. I'm a soon-to-be-again empty nester soI'm planning on staying in this home for hopefully many decades.

I was originally looking at Marvin Ultimate or Marvin Intergity windows but after months of deliberating, I've decided to switch to white trim so I'm considering going with a vinyl or composite window instead of windows with a wood interior. My builder didn't have much familarity with the Oknas frequently mentioned on here. I was also looking at Softlite Elements but I wasn't sure if there might be other top quality windows I should look at also?

I'm also trying to research options for making the overall building as efficient as possible but my head is spinning with all of the options- rigid foam on the exterior, closed cell foam vs cellulose, double stud walls, which vapor barrier is best, ICFs, etc. I'm trying to weigh which options will be the best without completely blowing my budget

Comments (9)