SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taft

Covering Up An Unused Doorway

taft
17 years ago

We have a 100 yo house that has many doorways. I have a doorway in the livingroom that we no longer use because I have put the sofa on that wall. I do not want to take the door/frame out to keep the house in it's original condition but...I do need to cover it up somehow.

I have tried hanging various drapes behind my sofa but none of them really worked. I just happened to get six solid wood five panel doors out of a house that is being torn down and three of the doors standing side-by-side will work. The doorway is not centered on the wall so with the sofa on that wall the doorway is also not centered behind the sofa so I need some type of wall cover that is 7 feet wide, just slightly wider than my sofa.

Okay, I like the look of the doors but now my problem is how do I hang them to make them into a wall screen?

I need to elevate them about 10 inches off the floor as these doors are not as tall as the doors in my house. I can easily build a structure for the doors to sit on that will be hidden behind the sofa but they still need to be attached to the wall so they don't fall.

I do not want to take the doorway mouldings off so the doors hanging on the wall will need to be proud of the existing door trim. I can put cleats on the wall to do that and I also plan on putting some moulding across the top of the three doors to finish them off.

I've also wondered if I could hang them on a barn door type of track or would that be too heavy to attach to the wall? I could then cover up the track with a cornice.

Any idea's suggestion's welcome.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz