SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kai615

Book or plan recommendation?

kai615
11 years ago

Hi.

After much bouncing back and forth in hubby and I deciding whether or not to hire someone to make some of our kitchen cabinets or just make them all ourselves, we have finally settled on doing it ourselves. While we are handy with tools, and have thus far done all our own work with our remodel, we understand this is a more daunting task, however, after an re-inspiring trip to the salvage places this weekend we know that either A- no one will want to put up with our vision OR B- they will charge us an arm and a leg to do it. Not to mention even it takes months I am sure the cost difference will be well worth it especially if we end up with our exact vision.

With that being said, the only reason I entertained hiring someone to begin with was that I am a little wary on building things like the sink basin cabinet. This is the only real "kitchen cabinet" we are doing in the room. We will also be doing a kitchen island (which should be easy with our skills. All other storage will be taken care of by a floor to ceiling - wall to wall - set of shelving with random open shelves, some re-claimed shutters, and old reclaimed glass windows and a closet pantry.

Can anyone recommend a book or plans for sink basin cabinets. I am looking for something that will go in an "un fit" kitchen. Basically something that has feet. I assume we can alter other plans somewhat. I just need something that will show us how to support the weight of the sink and counter properly.

Also on an different topic, has anyone ever used an old bowling alley floor as a kitchen counter? I am toying with that for the island. I have seen it done elsewhere on the internet, I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience in real life as a DIY.

Thanks in advance.

Kalindi

Comments (4)