SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
radleresq_gw

Ideas for accent colors, furniture placement?

radleresq
10 years ago

Hello,
I have spent the last few weeks lurking and reading all of the great posts on this forum. I've learned quite a lot. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge here.

Next week we are moving to our new home- a 2002 build "Colonial" on 52 Acres. We're psyched about the land and the newness of the house.

I'm having some trouble visualizing what our living room should look like. It will be used for reading, board games, drinking martinis/wine and knitting. There will be no TV. We occasionally entertain, but most of that would be in the summer and outside. There are three of us: two adults and a 10 year old boy.

The art we have for the room are two antique long guns mounted on wood, and some things we've picked up whilst traveling- mostly picked out by the 10 year old. All neutrals or wood.

According the the plans filed with the town, the room is 17'7" X 16'11". The furniture in the pictures is not ours, it belongs to the seller. We have an 80 inch couch (my DH says it is olive, I say brown) and a coffee table with stone tiles. We're thinking of getting the Paloma chairs from Ethan Allen in a cigar colored leather. I'm thinking of centering everything on the fire place, with the couch facing the window? It seems like there would be a lot of dead space?

I think the color of the room has to stay for now, because it masks the color of the countertops. So I need help with accent colors (or another main color to help mask the counter tops which can't be replaced for a while).

A bit about our personalities: I wear all black clothing because I am so colored challenged- that I just know black will work. We don't do busy patterns. That said, I like color in my home. If I had to describe our style- it would be traditional/comfortable. I'm attaching some photos of the room and of the kitchen. Thanks so much in advance

Comments (11)