SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scrappy25

Possible new Box Bay window- logistics and who installs?

scrappy25
10 years ago

Posting this here first since you guys are the window experts.

My house was built in 1979.
I would like to replace my south facing eating area window (two Anderson narroline double hungs 39" wide x 45" tall, total 78" wide x 45" tall) with a box bay that can be used as a window seat for the breakfast area. Currently the window is 36" off the floor. Ideally a box bay would be 16" off the floor but I am worried about tempered glass requirements that are in effect for glass surfaces less than 18" from the floor. If 16" off the floor, that would be a 78" wide by 65" tall box bay. If I use the same width window I believe that the existing header can be utilized.

Questions
1. One possible problem is that the window is already in a 2 foot bump-out from the house that is 18 feet wide to include the kitchen and eating area. Am I running into structural problems by adding a box bay? The existing roof overhang including gutters is 24" so the box bay could be 18 inches deep (including the 4" wall thickness) for a nice seating area without requiring a new roof.
2. If I use single or double hung windows where the lower pane is 36 x 30 inches, can I avoid the tempered glass issue since each pane is less than 9 sq feet? Thinking of using fixed panes for the smaller side windows.
3. Is there an existing vinyl manufacturer that makes box bays or do they have to be constructed on site? If constructed on site, could this be created with stock windows or do they have to be custom?
4. Definitely Low E. Any other recommendations for a south facing window?
4. Can a good window company take care of all this or do I need a general contractor? I am in the Baltimore area so any recommendations are appreciated. (ie if WOW could do this project I would be thrilled)

thanks in advance for your advice!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths