SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daven_gw

How can an old service panel cause breakers to not trip?

daven
15 years ago

I have a condo at the Beach. Recently, we had a tv mounted to the wall and the installer drilled into a stud, hit a wire, and the power went out in the room. The breaker did not trip. A few minutes later we saw smoke coming out of the wall. I shut off the breaker and called my electrician, Ben.

Ben came over and assessed the damage. A wire was running through a stud and the lag bolt had nailed it. He came back a few days later to fix the wire and replace the breaker. When everything was completed he checked the breaker and the new breaker didn't trip. Ben told me that the entire panel was badly corroded due to the sea air that was coming up through the wall. It appears that the box hadn't been sealed well.

I am now having the service panel replaced but I am concerned that other units in the complex may have the same problem.

My question: how will a corroded panel prevent a good breaker from tripping? I forgot to ask Ben and now I have other owners asking me this question. Would someone please help me understand what is happening?

Comments (7)