SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
embedded_tim

Casements: Andersen 400 vs Sunrise

embedded_tim
12 years ago

Hi Window Forum!!

First time post here! My name is Tim and I'm from Rochester, NY.

Well, my wife and I plunked down a fairly large sum of money and bought what we thought was a "move-in-ready" home (built in 1990). After moving in, painting, and decorating, subtle imperfections in the home started to surface. We were fully aware that no home is 'perfect' but we assumed that no major work would need to be done within the next 5 years. Well... we were wrong.

During our Home Inspection, the Inspector noted several broken seals in the windows (Hurd: most likely builder basic). We pressed the seller to fix the windows; the best they could do was call a company that attempted to remove the condensation from the windows and 'recreate' the vacuum. It looked like it worked for a few weeks, but alas, fog reappeared. All in all, we decided to just settle with foggy windows.

A few months after moving in, we started noticing most of the ~30 casement windows weren't closing properly. When cranking the window in, the sash wouldn't align with the window opening. Most of these windows, I've had to drill a screw into the sash so I could lift the windows and pull them into place to close the lock.

We also noticed significant amounts of damaged hardware, rot at the internal hinges, and a clear ooze around the window near the spacer. This brought us to the point of interviewing companies and contractors to put replacement windows in. After talking with ~10 candidates we decided that full tear-outs would be the better option (entertaining vinyl siding the home at the same time).

I've narrowed our window options down to casements; either the Andersen 400 casement or the Sunrise vinyl casement window. I know that the Andersen is a wood vinyl-clad window and the Sunrise is a straight vinyl window but I'm interested in hearing from the pro's: given the choose, which would you recommend your son/daughter/nephew/niece put into their home??

Thanks for any input!!

Comments (36)