SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

Which color to paint DD's new big girl bed?

breezygirl
9 years ago

My DD is about to turn 5 (can't believe it!) and will start a new preschool next week. DH and I are trying to get her "new" bed frame painted and ready for next week. I would like to please ask for some help choosing the color.

Please ignore the mess in her room when I took these photos. I was in a hurry and didn't have time to clean up. Also excuse the custom brown-paper window treatments. My agony of window coverings for the whole house can be saved for another thread. :-)

Her room is long and narrow, but sizeable. She loves pink and is very girly. Her room is currently painted BM "Just Peachy" 2173-60. It turned out not to the perfect soft pink, but it hasn't been repainted. This white Ikea Expedit shelf is staying as is (her bin of horses was out for play here).

DH's old dresser needs to be refinished/painted somehow, and factors strongly into what color to paint the bed. With the white shelves already going on in the room, I think the dresser needs to be white also if the bed is painted a different color. Either that or paint the bed white and paint the dresser in another color.

Above the bed (crib turned into daybed seen here) are two small windows.

Here's the bed we scored for cheap at a garage sale before it was stripped and primed. It has wooden side rails also, not pictured.

With footboard in front.

Her bedding is Pottery Barn Kids "Brooke". Stock photo

In her room.

I think I've narrowed it down to two colors.

Benjamin Moore 1305 Bird of Paradise

Sherwin Williams "Habanero Chile"

I need help with two questions.

1. Which piece of furniture, bed or dresser, should I put the color on? OTW, which should I paint to match the white bookcase--bed or dresser? I'm heavily leaning towards painting dresser white and the bed a color as less of the color would show on the bed frame as opposed to the big dresser.

2. What color for the pink? Either of my two shown above? Or should I scrap pink all together and look at another color?

Thanks so much for wading through all my pics and rambling!

Comments (32)