SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soesoe_gw

Should I move the entry to our family room?

Soesoe
10 years ago

We built this custom home in 2011 and I have a layout dilemma. When we designed we did not have any kids and we now have 18 mo old twins. My dilemma is that our entertainment room is now more of a playroom/family room and the entry to it is from the back of our living room which makes the traffic flow behind our living room sofa and into the family room.
I am considering closing up the wall that connects the living room and family room and making a new entrance to the family room off of the hallway - see the floor plan and photos.

Here are my reasons for considering this change:
1) The traffic flow through the living room to the family room makes furniture placement in the living room difficult because the furniture has to be at least 3' off the wall. When the doors are open it looks dark into the family room which can get messy with toys etc.
2) When the sliding barn doors are open between the two rooms you can see our projector screen on the wall as a background from the living room. You also get to look at the back of our black leather sofa.
3) The barn door sliders are noisy and are normally left open or partially open. They are not that sound insulating so if someone is watching TV in the family room the sound passes right into the the main living areas of the home. As our kids get older and want their own space it might be annoying to have them open to the living room.

Reasons I am nervous to close off the entry
1) Most people are opening up their homes and not closing them off. Will I regret this later?
2) What can I put on the living room wall that serves as an interesting design focal point behind our furniture. This wall is highly visible.
3) Will the livingroom feel too small without this opening? It is 15.5 wide X17.5 feet long

ADVICE please! My contractor said he could come Friday to opening up the hallway for the new entry!!

Comments (15)