SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nc1924

Advice RE which new wood-clad windows to match existing mahogany

NC1924
10 years ago

Posting this in the Woodworking Forum since I want advice (being a novice) to assist with my questions.

Which wood to order for the three new Marvin Ultimate Clad windows besides mahogany--to best match with the existing mahogany trim and sills? Mahogany is double the price of the Pine and more than I want to pay. On the other hand, I will need to have a professional finish the wood of the new windows regardless of the wood I choose, thus can I purchase another wood and get it refinished to come close to the mahogany color? Then which wood?

What to consider when interviewing professionals RE: refinishing existing trim and sills after the windows are installed (possible to restore or will I need to replace) and finishing the bare wood on the new Ultimate Clads.

There are three existing windows which will be replaced. The trim and sill of these windows is mahogany. Will stay intact. I do not know the type of mahogany. Or the age of the trim and sills. The trim is in good condition. The sills are in need of attention. Attached photos.

The contractor suggested I order bare pine clad Marvin Ultimate Clad and have a professional refinish the bare pine to match the existing mahogany trim and sills. And refinish the trim and sills at the same time.

The Ultimate Clad comes in these wood options:
Pine
Cherry
Douglas Fir
Mahogany
Vertical Douglas Fir
White Oak

Appreciate your advice.

Comment (1)