SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ionized_gw

Photovoltaic sys and grid

ionized_gw
15 years ago

I was shocked to find out that if I install a photovoltaic, grid-tied system, I will not have use of the photovoltaic power if I don't have grid power. I did some web searches to find out why and found nothing in they way of technical explanation.

Reading between the lines indicates that the inverters are designed so they need a reasonable 60 Hz power source to match and they just dont function without it, shutting off. Is that correct?

Having a backup source of power is a big reason for me to consider installing photovoltaics. Aside from buying some expensive secondary inverters and figuring out how to connect them temporarily in place of the grid-tied units, is there any way to maintain a grid-tied system and reach my goal? I guess I could shut off the main breaker and feed the main service panel with a small generator. I am doubting that either solution could be made code-compliant.

It would be really nice if it could be made automatic rather than requiring hands-on. I doubt, that any of this would work unless someone was there to manage the load and input from the panels. I obviously know enough to get myself into big trouble. Maybe enough to stay out of it since I am concerned about what might happen if the solar system produced more power than the load and the generator was running. I guess the generator might go up in a big bang and flames rather than contently running backwards.

Comments (14)