SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katedd

Equipment drawing WAY more kwh than it is supposed to...

katedd
14 years ago

We 'inherited' one of the 'swim-in-place' pool systems. It is an above ground vinyl pool with an hydrolic swim-current generator.

The meter was spinning so fast I could barely find the black part of the wheel.

I did a worst case scenario calculation assuming both the water quality filtration unit pump and heater were running 24 hours a day (which they were not) and used the (actual) use time of the swim system ... 3 hours total for the 9 days: (please check my calculations... I am a biologist, not a mathematician/physicist... heh)

Heater: 5.5 kw heater running 24 hours for 9 days = 1188 kwh/9 days

Filtration pump: 120w = 0.120 kwh x24x9 = 25.92 kwh/9 days

Current unit: (5 hp x 746 watts)=3.73 kw x 3 hr = 11.19 kwh/9 days

A high estimation of household electrical use: 225 kwh/9 days

Total estimation for the 9 days, assuming 24 hour operation of pump and heater: 1450.11 kwh/9days.

At a projected cost of $435 for the month, that is bad enough, but the actual reading for the 9 days was 2337 kwh/9 days (estimated cost for the month $701) and that was with the pump and heater NOT running 24 hours a day. Obviously, the system has been shut down...

I am going to assume that the electrician who ran the 220V/30A line that this beast plugs into did everything right (mostly because I can not think of a way they could have screwed it up that would account for this) and start troubleshooting the three components of the system. Filter pump, heater and hydrolic pump unit.

I am going to start with the heater because it apparently froze and the solder joint of the tube that holds the heating element busted, spewing water all over the insides. I think I can figure out where to put the amp-meter probes on that one (although hints would be welcome). The one that I am really not sure where to start with is the hydrolic unit. Any suggestions?

Comments (13)