SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kk1128

Disgusted with Jeld-Wen - Need Help

kk1128
15 years ago

In the process of replacing 50 windows and doors. Jeld-Wen was recommended by the engineer and contractor. The sales rep from the local supply company came to our home with samples. Decided on wood clad Siteline EX with the panes between the glass for easier cleaning. The between the glass pane version was not one of the samples brought to the site. We were all set to just go with white panes. At the site the rep told us we might as well get the panes to "match" the cladding on the outside with white on the inside. We did not even know there was an option of doing 2 separate colors on the panes until this was mentioned. The contractor and the engineer were present for this discussion. Well, the windows arrive and the color of the panes does not match the cladding due to the Low E glass. Actually the plain white both sides, which we were all set to order, would have been a better match. The color of the panes is awful and makes me sick to even look at them. Instead of a creamy white like the cladding, they are a sickly green.

The sales rep came to the site and I mentioned that the panes did not match the cladding. He said that was because of the glass and that he told us it would change the color, which is a lie. I told him we are not stupid and if he had in fact told us that we would have asked to see a sample before placing an order and would have stayed with the white panes. We were told the pane color would "match" the exterior clad color and that was what we expected. Well, it matches in name only! Is it unreasonable to expect it actually to match in color too and that Jeld-Wen would make adjustments to the color when using the tinted glass so that it does actually match? Or at the very least, should this have been disclosed prior to placing the order?

We have now been told they will switch out the window components for ones with plain white between the glass panes at a cost of $30,000 to us! Is this nuts?

Additionally, we have a huge picture window and if you lightly touch your finger to it the pane inside makes a loud rattling noise. Even though the other windows have little clear rubber bumpers inside between the panes and the glass, this window does not. I can only imagine the awful noise it will make on a windy day. The rep told us he will have to look into that issue, but the little bumpers are only installed on certain windows. What??

Another issue is a custom made window by Jeld-Wen that they did by template. It fits fine, however the interior trim detail doesn't match any of the other windows. Actually, there really isn't any trim detail. The rep told us, "Well, that's the way we do it. It's a different type of window." It's custom made for crying out loud. Shouldn't it be made to match the other window in trim too?

Any advice or comments on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (3)