SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cupofkindness

Bathroom:Take a look at this-please tell me if Im missing anythng

cupofkindness
13 years ago

I am renovating my daughters bathroom, which is actually two 7 foot by 5 foot rooms. I have to make decisions about the electrical work tonight!

The entry room contains the double sink vanity and the room with the window contains the tub, toilet, and a linen cabinet. The room will have black Amtico tile floors, white cabinetry, and Cambrian Black granite counters with white sinks and chrome Kelston Kohler 8" widespread faucets. The walls will be painted a pale pink, we might wall paper down the road, but I cannot bear to make another decision or spend another penny right now.

There is currently a long flourescent tube light fixture over the 56" sink counter and a fairly new Solatube skylight in the sink room. The tube fixture will be demo'd (in fact, the entire bathroom is being demo'd right now) and I plan to replace it with four 5-inch diameter can lights (smaller than the typical can light). Two lights will go in the soffit above the sinks (centered over each 20" wide by 26" long silver-wood framed medicine cabinet), and two will go into the opposite corners. One of these will be near the pocket door which leads to the hall, the other can light will be over a petite vanity that I'm creating out of a full length mirror and a glass shelf. The full length mirror covers the valve box for the tub/shower on the other side of the wall. When you have four girls getting ready at once (none of their bedrooms have mirrors), you need a lot of mirrors. Each can light is rated to 75 watts, the sink cans will be on one switch, the other two cans will be on a separate switch, so that they will operate independently. And since there is a Solatube in the center of the ceiling, we really don't need lights on except when it is dim or dark outside. We will also need to move an outlet (there is currently one outlet by the sink which needs to be moved in order to clear the void for the pocket door and plan to add an outlet to the petite vanity area, probably on the adjacent wall since there is no plumbing in that wall.

So with the four can lights, plus the Solatube, there will be five light sources in the ceiling of this 7 by 5 foot room. Is this too much? The ceiling is currently a popcorn ceiling, but it will have a smooth texture when all is finished.

Since we are also putting a pocket door between the sink room and the tub/toilet room, I've got to move the light switch in this room to another location. I guess I should move it next to the other switches (is three switches too many at one place on the wall?) This room will have one Broan decorative vent fan/light fixture in it. This will vent outside to the boxed roof eave soffit. There will be nothing over the tub/shower in the ceiling. Can the electrician put a switch in a wall that has plumbing in it? (is this a dumb question?). Since there will be a pocket door on the other side of the doorway, we cannot have any switches on that side either. There are no electrical outlets in the tub/toilet room. Will I ever need one? Should I put an outlet into the toilet/tub room? I'm thinking of putting an outlet in our new (uninstalled yet) linen cabinet. I don't think we've ever needed an outlet in the tub/toilet room, but having something in a cabinet to recharge things is never a bad idea, 20 years ago who would have known we would have so many rechargeable devices?

Can you think of anything else that I should install in these bathrooms, electrical-wise? Or should I do something differently? I do have all of the switches, outlets, can lights, Broan fixture, etc. Three electricians are coming tomorrow to bid the job, so I must figure this out quickly. Thank you so much for your replies. I really am at the point where I cannot make any mistakes. Thank you!

Comments (16)