SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ntl1991

Cleaning Up Telephone Wiring

ntl1991
13 years ago

Hello. I'm trying to gradually clean up all of the wiring in my basement, and after installing junction boxes here and there where they were needed, removing CATV coax wires which were cut and never removed, removing old, unused thermostat wires which were run up hallways along the baseboard trim or around door casing, etc, I've gotten to my telephone wiring mess.

The house is a 3-family home and therefore, I have three main telephone entrance cables entering from the protectors outside. That's the only clear thing. Then, I've got junction blocks, some used and unused, and entrance bridges... To complicate this even more, I'm not even sure I'm getting ANY service from the telephone company. I have Cox Communications which sends the telephone signal over their CATV network, and my modem gives me my telephone jack (which I have wired into a jack to provide wired telephone through my apartment. The second floor has Verizon telephone, which I'm guessing uses the same type of system as Cox, because there is a battery backup in the basement. The 3rd floor hasn't subscribed to any landline telephone service as he uses his cell phone only.

Can any of this wiring be cleaned up myself? I know I can remove the old (original = circa 1948) telephone wiring which has been cut near the junction blocks which goes up to the 1st and 2nd floors. The 3rd floor is tied into the original wiring. Also, there's the white junction block which is unused I can remove. I know I probably can't touch the active junction blocks or entrance bridges, but can I call anyone to clean this mess up? Does Cox do telephone wiring service like a regular phone company would?

Overview of all the telephone wiring

{{!gwi}}

Network Interface Jack (for 2nd floor, I believe) and Verizon Interface Unit with Battery Backup

{{!gwi}}

Junction Blocks and Entrance Bridges (Used and Unused)

{{!gwi}}

Original Telephone Wires Cut for 1st and 2nd Floors:

{{!gwi}}

More Wiring

{{!gwi}}

Grounding Straps for the Junction Blocks

{{!gwi}}

My next job is to reroute the active CATV wiring through holes in the joist rather than being mounted to the bottom of the joists, and getting rid of the unused or unnecessary splitters all over my basement... I also have electrical that is unused and can be removed as new circuits have been run...

Comments (10)