SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sara_the_remodeler

Bathroom at front of house, want windows and privacy

sara_the_remodeler
17 years ago

We are building an addition at the front of our house. Due to some layout considerations, the master bathroom is located at the front of the house - only 20 feet from the street/sidewalk. This is not ideal - but this is what we've got to do.

Obviously, I want windows in our bathroom. So, when we were working this out with the architect, we planned for large windows, and then planned for a privacy screen to be built outside the house.

Now I am realizing that I don't like the screen idea. It's too close to the street and just doesn't fit with our house or neighborhood. So... how do I have windows in this bathroom, but also privacy??

The contractor needs to frame that bathroom by the end of this week, so I'm kind of panicked.

I don't really want to do art-glass -- it's super-expensive and tends to date itself pretty fast. There is also obscured/frosted glass. I suppose this would be okay, but I just can't get very excited about it. My husband found a product called switchlites, which is where you can use an electric current to switch your windows from clear to obscure with a press of the button. This is very expensive (like $6000 for the window sizes we're talking about.) The other option is just normal (possibly smaller) windows with interior window treatments, but I think it would be annoying to walk into a master bathroom and have to close blinds every time.

Any suggestions? Should I just give up the idea of lots of natural light and make smaller windows? Or no windows?

Would it be better for me to post this message to the bathroom forum?

Thanks,

Sara

Comment (1)