SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sid_79_gw

need some advice rewiring bath

sid_79
17 years ago

I have my bathroom stripped to the studs to do a remodel, and am going to be correcting some defficiencies in the electrical wiring... This bathroom shares a 15 amp circuit with an adjacent bedroom. On several occasions this has caused the breaker to trip when my wife used her hairdryer the same time a window AC compressor kicked on

I am running a new 20 amp GFCI circuit for this bathroom, and a 15 amp circult dedicated to the tile warmer (it is a small bathroom and the tile warmer specifications say the draw will be less than 5 amps, and the programmable thermostat has built in GFCI so a GFCI breaker is not necessary). On the 20 amp GFCI circuit there would be two outlets, two two-bulb lighting fixtures over the vanity, two 4" recessed lights with shower trim kits (40 wats max per light) over the shower, and an exhaust fan. Now I am thinking about revising the plan to put the lighting and exhaust fan on their own circuit. The exhaust fan requires GFCI since it is installed over a shower area.

I am thinking that maybe I should go with 20 GFCI dedicated to the two outlets, and a 15 amp GFCI for the lighting and exhaust fan, and the 15 amp for the heat. Or a 20 GFCI for the lighting, fan, and heat might be an option, so I just need to run two new circuits instead of three.

I would appreciate any advice.

Comments (8)