SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karinl_gw

Persistent smell from polyurethane

karinl
13 years ago

Some of you may remember the kitchen drawers my husband and I installed some months ago in our dishwasher opening, built of maple with maple slides. OK, so the drawers look great and they work fine.

We finished them inside and out with a clear urethane (Fine Paints of Europe Eurothane) in matte, and are happy with the appearance. What we're not happy with is the persistent smell. It's only one thin coat, and yet the off-gassing is just not stopping. I can't put any food in them yet, and even dishes or pots or dishcloths that are stored in them come out smelling quite unpleasant. We have been leaving them open most of the time in hopes that they would air out, but no dice so far.

I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on (a) how long this can reasonably be expected to go on, or (b) if there is something one might wipe the drawers down with to make it happen faster. I've started regularly wiping them out with just a damp soapy cloth, lacking any other strategy besides scraping the finish off entirely.

Or, I suppose, whether we could put on a second coat of something that would not be as objectionable, but that's also available in a matte finish and is impervious to water.

Thanks for any hope you can offer!

KarinL

Comments (16)