SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joetypist

How to circumvent an abusive mother =) advice?

JoeTypist
21 years ago

This is somewhat off-topic, so it may be filtered out by the moderator. It's also a bit long; the short of it is I'm borrowing trouble and want advice on how best to borrow it. :)

My partner and I are acquaintences of a couple with an almost-3-year-old boy. The mother, in my opinion, is functionally insane. To wit:

The mother has stated on various occaisions:

* she has chucked a guitar at her husband

* she stabbed at the family car's tires with a steak knife

* she never wanted a son and cried for a month when he was born

* spends most of her days watching tv and sleeping

Witnessed by my partner :

* she kicked her husband at night out of a tent with about 3 bucks and instructions to buy a bottle of wine

Around the boy, she constantly forces him to display emotional attatchment to her. She iniates pretty much nothing; she demands her husband do whatever needs done at the moment.

The husband provides pretty much all the emotional support for the boy, but it seems to have turned a bit overboard -- example -- sleeping with the child for hours to get him to sleep. I think he's subconsciously trying to ensure the boy stays emotionally retarded so the man will have a source of affection.

actions of the boy:

* doesn't look anybody in the face

* speech and emotional/physical development seem to be retarded by about 8 months or so

* distraught/pines when separated from the father

* turns face away frm anything he doesn't want to hear -- turns face away from his mother all the time

Basically, I think the mother is doing some serious emotional damage that at best risks turning the child into a maladapted recluse and at worst might turn him autistic.

Since we were worried that any overt action on our part would either be worse for the boy (child services) or dangerous to us (insane woman attacking our family physically etc) my partner and I had chosen to not tell the parents what we thought but rather try to have the boy stay with us as much as possible to give him a good example of family behavior (we have a 3 year old of our own, my partner's and her ex's), and also to use up time otherwise spent with the crazy woman.

However, we were forced into telling the husband our opinion when he came to us asking for assistance in his current housing situation. I was not going to let her inside my house on a residential-type basis.

Turns out he wasn't blind to the situation after all and is trying to get out of it. Unfortunately, the none of us have any good ideas about how to go about severing ties, since, as stated above, the wife really is unstable and we fear what she'd to to life, limb, and property of all concerned once the ball starts rolling.

Does anybody have any advice, particularly sneaky, non-confrontational type things? My primary goals are 1) not having this blow back on my family, and 2) not having her end up with custody for the boy.

To tell the truth, I think the guy might end up stuck with her until the boy is older. Personally, I think he should try to get the community he belongs to to unofficially adopt the boy to get him out of the house as much as possible. Next, I think he needs to start keeping records of everything she does. Along with that, get her name off of legal-type-things like the lease and the bank accounts, plus get everything he doesn't want destoyed out of the house, plus start setting up a separate bank account and not tell her.

The best of all possible worlds is, of course, if she could somehow be convinced to leave him, and think it her own idea.

Anyway. Anybody go through something like this before?

Comments (5)