SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
achilles007

Newbie-- Can someone explain the basics

achilles007
14 years ago

Hi guys. the REAL reason why I am here-- I want to create a water bath that would give me TIGHTER control of my cheese-cooking temps. When making cheese, during certain areas of the cooking process you need to control the temp down to the very minute increments. So for example 2 degrees per 5 minutes or 1 degree per one minute, etc. My set-up will consist of one 55 gallon drum, and a heating element installed into it controlled by a PID controller. THIS will be my water bath, and my SS pot of milk will sit in it, thus creating a double-boiler effect.

[B]HOWEVER I have been told that I cant just go out and buy a water heater element and just plug it in otherwise I could be putting myself at serious harm.[/B] [B][I]My question of what brings me here is-- WHY is that?

I'm used to plugging in all kinds of electronic devices with no problems or second-thoughts at all to any harm potentially coming my way. So.. what gives? In my room I could have 5 or 6 different eletronic devices all plugged into the same strip and NEVER have any problems.

[/I][/B]

And secondly if this IS a real issue-- what steps can I take to minimize this? I keep hearing of GFCI and panels, and breaker poles, and 25 amperes but all this stuff is OVER my head-- can someone please help in breaking down this stuff in helping me to understand? Thanks

Comments (19)