SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
axg9504_gw

Replace 25 yr old storms?

axg9504
14 years ago

I've decided to keep our old double hung single pane wood windows. The only work they need cosmetically is some reglazing and painting (on the outside). They are structurally sound. In the current economic climate I see our property values declining, so spending money on new windows is not going to give a big payback. Besides I don't anticipate enough energy savings payback with new replacement windows. I have 25 windows, 6 of them are 71 x 32 and the others are mostly 54 x 32.

Would it be worthwhile to get new storm windows with low E glass? - thinking of at least replacing the ones that get a lot of sun in the summer (we are shaded by woods on 3 sides at one end with the other exposed). How would I evaluate my current storms for replacement?

Would like to hear from anyone who went this route and discovered energy savings. I like the Larson gold series but Lowes wants $99 to put one in!!! (I'm not particularly gifted in remodeling). I had one offer of $4500 to put in 25 Seaway windows. Thanks.

Comments (6)