SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zelie4111

Window soundproofing questions

Zelie4111
10 years ago

It seems that people on this site have a lot of knowledge in soundproofing windows, and I am looking for information and ideas pertaining to my own situation.

Basically it starts with the same old story... I have noisy neighbors and a few barking dogs. The windows in my house are cheap vinyl double-hung windows that were installed incorrectly approx. ten years ago by the previous owners. Would buying new replacement windows and installing them correctly make a worthwhile difference? I repaired one recently because the gap was so bad between the window and the frame that I had no choice. When I took the trim off I found that there was no insulation around them. I shimmed as needed and stuffed in some insulation... It seemed to make a small difference, but I am wondering if buying new windows would be better.

Also I am looking for information on building my own interior plexiglass window plugs, and I cannot find much info in my searches. All that comes up is sites trying to sell their own products.

Any information would be great... Thanks!

Comments (6)