SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
qmarker

Advice appreciated strip - stain - paint table

qmarker
12 years ago

Hello, I have offered to do a favor for an older lady friend of mine. She is fixing up her kitchen to make her happy. She had her oak cupboards stripped and stained professionally. It is a very small kitchen and she has a very old small drop leaf table she would like refinished. The same stripper wants five hundred just to strip the table ready for refinishing. She cannot afford that much and doesn't know how she would finish it either. I have done 'tons' of refinishing in my day but not for several years. However, I did offer to do this for her and I would appreciate your advice.

The table is certainly an antique, given to her by her aunt many, many years ago. It is rectangle drop leaf with turned legs. I would 'guess' it is oak? She wants the table top to be sort of a pecan color and the legs painted black. I think that's a shame but so be it to please her. She just purchased 2 new chairs with black legs and black slatted backs with stained seats and she wants the table to match them.

I will use a MC stripper outside (I'd appreciate brand name recommendation)

I will clean & sand as necessary

I will stain the top & leaves (I like Minwax products)

I will varnish, steel wool & re-varnish (poly)

Is two coats of poly enough for a table?

Does the underside get a coat of poly or just stain?

Now, what do I do to correctly make the legs black? Do they need primer and then just a good black paint? Or don't they get primer at all?

After the legs are painted, do they get a coat of poly?

Is there any special brand or kind of paint I should look for?

Sorry, I do not yet have a picture of the table. I will get one shortly if it helps.

Thank you, Donna

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH