SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heldmacm

Window Well Backing Up During Heavy Rain

heldmacm
9 years ago

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the proper category to post this issue, so if not, please move accordingly.

We have lived in our home for a little over a year, and within the past month or so, we have noticed the lone window well on the backside of the house backing up with water during periods of heavy rainfall. When this happens, the water slowly seeps into the basement. There are two window wells around the corner from this one on another side of the house, and to this point, we fortunately have not had the same problem with those two.

After removing the window well cover and some of the debris at the top of the window well and digging a bit into the bottom of the well, I decided to call a plumber. He dug far enough to get to where the drain should be, but alas, there is no drain for this window well. I do not know if that is typical for a home the age as mine (build in 1957). His only option was to install a drain that empties into the basement laundry room tub. This would have cost ~$1,000, so rather than do that, he suggested we first try adjusting the grading of the soil around the window well to try to get water to drain away from the well (please refer to the attached picture). Before we do that, does anyone have any other suggestions or experience in dealing with a window well without a drain that is backing up with water?

Thank you in advance for your advice,

Chris

Comments (12)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional