Akin..African Warrier..Brave Man

stjohnsgypsy
16 years ago

WIP

{{!gwi}}

Comments (133)

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Cassies stuff was nice from the pictures but I gotta say the guiter Rosie did (green eyed monster) and the masks slow did were better.

Slow you are right she does her stuff in the same style as Laurel Skye.

Where oh where is our picture of Akin........................

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Well, aren't you nice, CHICKEE? Aikin who?

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

I wrestled and wallered this bad boy to the ground but got him lathered..broke out in a sweat and my eyes were bugged by the time he was grouted and wiped down.

Are you SURE that was GROUTING you were doing????!!! =:O

• stjohnsgypsy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is a really bad picture of more WIP of this guy....raining outside, so couldn't take picture outside...I still have a lot of time I dont' have to scrap more adhesive off him....really learned a valuable lesson with the caulk gun......not again.....I will take back, side, top, etc. photo when I get this thing done..sick of him.........not sure if he should be an Egyptian or my initial African warrior...any suggestions...? The tiles tothe left of him are what I had on the Bohemian Nights table...not showing up good in this photo..looks black?

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Hey he looks great. Still looks more African to me..and Egypt is in Africa..

Maria

• stjohnsgypsy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You got me Maria! And that is another reason I don't give directions! I guess what I'm trying to say is that I "thought" Egyptians were lighter skin than African warriors......and didn't know now with the grout color I chose...if he is dark enough to be the great warrior????

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

EXCELLENT! great choice on grout color can't wait to see more views Gypsy, he's awesome!

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Great Warrior he is no matter what.I still think he looks african because of all the things that are on him.He is wonderful Gypsy just like everything you do!!!Beautiful job!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Well bless my soul! Gypsie is alive and the Warrior is ready for battle. WHAT are you moaning about? That grout color is beautiful - shows up EVERY single tile. I'm not tolerating anymore criticism of your work - I'm doing a tick-a-lock on complaints. This is absolutely PERFECT - not a THING to be changed or worried about. WHAT an artist!

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

Gypsy!!!! So worth waiting for!
    He turned out just as PERFECT as I was expecting.
    He's really AN AMAZING PIECE OF ART! Just what I needed to start gluing something on mine. I'm so intimidated and inspired at the same time. Your art just blows me away!!

Hazie

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

Gypsy, what an OUTSTANDING work of art! I don't know anything about Egyptian or African, I just know he is a beautiful piece of art. I do admire your creativity.

• klinger
    16 years ago

Well I think he just turned out wonderfully. I love it and you gotta stop being so critical of your fabulous piece of art.He's great
    Cindy

• ba1je
    16 years ago

wonderful - i love your warrior man...barb

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Akin is just awesome....Im with slow..no more picking him apart!!! You did a great job and should be real proud!! I love him..

Hazie- your mannequin will be just awesome when you start it. I have complete faith in you!!!

• curbdiver1954
    16 years ago

There simply aren't any more words to use in describing his magnificance (sp?)! Couldn't even begin to guess his ethnic background, but whatever feels right to you is the correct answer!

WOW!

Pat

• lyndalu
    16 years ago

Wow, just fantastic. Like everyone has said - it's just an amazing work of art. It has been fun to watch him from the beginning.

• fiddlekate
    16 years ago

Me too! Me too!!! Me too!!!
    All the things said above! Love the colors... the clever combinations of glass, tiles, jewels, etc. It all combines so well together to give the "WARRIOR POWER" image! :) Love it!
    (Poor guy will live forever with that bony fish on his nipple though! LOL!!! :)

• cacbeary
    16 years ago

I love the warrior! You did a fantastic job on him. I think the grout color is perfect with everything.

My one son has rings in his nipples. He said it was very, very painful but loves them! I used to have a pic of him holding 2 shot glasses over the nipples soaking them so they wouldn't get infected when healing. Ew!

• lilpeaches
    16 years ago

SO COOL! He's turned out fantastic. Cant wait to see the back, I like the tribal part on his butt. What is the metal piece on the front in the middle? Neat looking. GREAT JOB! I hope you're proud of him.

• stjohnsgypsy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gush! Thanks all! Like with everything I do...I always end up "wishing" I had done something different here or there! I need to learn to have an unconditional acceptance of the finished piece.

Lilpeaches..that metal thing in the middle was a pin for a jacket...it reminded me of a little warrior..CAnnot wait to see Hazie and Slows new mannequin....they will probably be done before I get Akin cleaned up!!! LOL I'm SLOW

Yeah, that poor dead fish hanging from his boob..I just had to do that!!!

I am going to try and work on him this AM...to finish cleaning him up...wish I didn't have to work, sleep, eat, etc. some times! I will post the final pictures when he's as good as I can get him as far as cleaning! Again, thanks for your kind words! Oh, he's going to remain..AKIN...African Warrior..Brave One...LOL

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Yeah, I was looking at him again last evening before I fell into bed and noticing how smooth the sides are, and the design as a whole, but then zoomed in close to see all the interesting little things you throw in the mix. I tell you, girlie, you do wonderful work. Wish I could lasso some of your thought processing during one of your mosaic projects.

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

I looked at him a few times last night also. I love all the little things you've added.Wishing I had such awesome treasures. I started on mine yesterday.
    I think she kinda looks like Akins warrior bride at this point!

Hazie

• stjohnsgypsy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Let's plan a wedding Hazie!!!Nekkid warrior woman and your mannequin...hmmmm....Ole Akin gonna get the big head!!

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

singing "more pictures we need more pictures...." "and hazie needs to start a wip thread..." still singing ...

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

AW Gypsy I think he turned out wonderful. We are always our own worst critic. I do not see a thing I would change. I do hope you put up some more finished pictures of him.

ROFL Hazie Bride of Akin. Should we dig through our stashes and see what we can send to you for treasures? I am game. Show us where you are in your progress and colors you are using I will see if there is something I might have around.

OH My a real wedding. Someone needs to do the brides maids best men. This will be so fun. Heheheh

Chris

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Tapping my foot, waiting, waiting. Pictures, please.

• stjohnsgypsy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I hear the earth moving from your tapping Slow....LOL......I just finished this AM cleaning all I can do......need to touch up the backside where the warriors are dancing cause when I used some adhesive remover, it also removed the paint....? I will finish him off this evening and post the final, last, no more, end, finished Akin..........probably tomorrow, as it will be dark when I get home from work. Shade...that's a hoot.......!

• stjohnsgypsy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, he's as good as I can get him...he's on his own now! Will post a pictue of his back tomorrow night..can't believe I deleted it? Anyway, real arrowheads, broken plates by hammmer, vintage jewelry, stained glass, found objects, shells, glass gems, ceramic leaves and circles, blood, sweat and tears!

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

stunning... wow gypsy.... wow

• klinger
    16 years ago

Gypsy he's just fabulous, I love all the angles of him you shared with us. Where will he be residing?
    Cindy

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

I'm just in awe!!!!
    He's so.....so......I can't find the words!
    You so inspired me!

Hazie

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Must be a warrior chief as good as he looks!!

Maria

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Well if you felt the earth moving w/my waiting, I can feel the UNIVERSE shaking w/what I believe is your relief to have this sucker finished. You did a FABULOUS job, and I know you're bursting w/pride. On closeups I can see he has danglies too. Aren't they AWFUL to grout around!? I love everything about him. Like I said, I wish I could put a rope around some of your ideas and claim them as my own, you l'il artist, you. What's next?

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Beautiful Gypsy.A real artist you are for sure.He turned out excellent...any ideas where he's going?To the gallery I hope unless your gonna keep him just to look at...LOL Great job!I'd want him hanging around for a while anyway after all that work.

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

The moon dance did it!
    He's wonderful. You got a real art piece there SJG!!

• rosemarythyme
    16 years ago

WOW. Gypsy: He is a real "hunka". Beautiful work, as usual.

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

that really turned out great. I was looking through all your pictures of him and I realized the brown plate rims you have going down the front of him going from left nipple down to right hip....I have those dishes...they are my daily users!!! How funny. I have never looked at them that way before!!!

Anyhow you did a great job he is awesome!!!

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

Dang... I came back here looking for butt shots????

GYPSY???

• stjohnsgypsy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry I didn't get the big butt shots in Nice....I just got home from St. Louis....and Akin has moved...but will get a butt shot of him Monday!!!! PROMISE LOL....he's got some rear-end I tell ya!!!!

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

Where has he moved to?
    Did he find a new home already?

Hazie

• stjohnsgypsy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

He may be sold to an attorney...and that's a BIG maybe! Never count my chickens before they hatch......didn't think he would be adopted out so soon...he's still not in concrete, however...he's at the local gallery right now.

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

Wow! That's so great Gypsy. He really deserves to be in a gallery, so glad other's will be able see him before He finds a permanent home.

Hazie

• stjohnsgypsy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The end of Akin...whew!

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

Gypsy, he is looks GRAND!!! Beautiful work! Have a glass or two of wine and relish in your accomplishment. He is amazing!

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

Great Butt Shot! That back piece really makes him something special, I LOVE HIM!

Hazie

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

So cool!!! I'm sure you're glad he's finally done, but you gotta miss working on him. He's certainly an amazing warrior!

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Love this guy's Butt!!!!!!

• stjohnsgypsy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yep, will have that glass of wine!! I kind of like his butt too!! LOL..........so glad I'm done with him..........but he has a twin! In the makings! Won't post any pictures until he's done...won't torture you guys like this again LOL..It will probably be March or April!!As I've got too many other projects to finish....He will be in a different style! I'm NUTS! Thanks everyone for pushing me through this project.

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Aw come on we love your WIP pics!!

He came out fantastic

Maria

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

See there is where you messed up ...you shouldn't have even told us you started another one cause now we will bug you like a child wanting a piece of candy....PLEEEEEEEEEEZEEE will you post a WIP picture of the new one PLEEEEAAAZE !!!!!!!!! How different will this new one be????

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths