SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bikemanswife

Kitchen cabinet doors -- repair? replace?

Alice Johannen
11 years ago

We have a kitchen that is just FILLED with 23-year-old custom oak cabinetry. We have 40 raised panel rail & stile doors that are showing their age either through finish wear & tear, by sticking badly in the summer and/or by literally coming apart at the seams. We looked into replacing the cabinets but holy cow. The quote of $35K (uninstalled, and nevermind the countertop and other things we want to do ...) has us thinking we should refinish and call it a day. I've seen the discussions on gel staining them and think going with a dark espresso would be great BUT here are my questions:

A) Should we even consider repairing the doors? My husband has said he'll take them apart and reglue them, but ... is that advisable/possible? That wouldn't solve the summertime sticking problem ...

B) But if we replace the doors (we'd get flat panel, which we heartily prefer over raised panel), could we hope to match them to the boxes in terms of stain color if we get unfinished wood? We'd gel stain the existing boxes, which are already stained. Short of PAINT, how could the new doors be matched to the old, restained boxes?

Thank you for any advice you can offer!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths