SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidandkasie

what would be required to redo feed to shop

davidandkasie
15 years ago

currently my workshop and the well house have a seperate feed than my house. yes, i have 2 meters. the house meter is on the outside wall maybe 75 feet from teh shop. the meter for the shop is currently about 20ft from it, with a 4 slot panel on the pole under supplying a 4 wire feed underground to the shop panel and 10/2 UF to the pump.

what i would like to do is move the pump supply in to my panel in the shop, i have the room for the 30A breaker no problem. then i would like to swing the power to the shop over to the house main panel so i can get rid of my second meter. i am tired of the POCO charging me now 21.00 a month for the meter when i avg using less than 10kwh a month, and most of the time less than 1kwh. the shop is fed with 60A breaker on #4THWN and the panel in the shop is a 100A main/sub with teh neutral and ground busses NOT bonded currently since they bond at the panel on the pole.

i am thinking of sticking with the #4 since i get it from work at little to no cost. my only real expense would be the conduit and maybe renting a trencher. if we have some excess #2 i will use it, but i know for a fact i have a few hundred feet of black #4 and plenty of both bare copper solid #4 and green jacketed #4 THWN. no white, but that is what tape is for.

no need to up the service to teh shop, even when running everything i need at once i don't use more than 30A total, and that is a generous guess. the well is used only for garden irrigation and to water the horse, so it may be running a grand total of 1 hour a month.

anyone see anything i am overlooking?

Comments (4)