SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicky_2006

Ct.3,probably 4 season room window question

nicky_2006
16 years ago

Please bear with the description before I ask my questions. Designing a 16 by 26 foot room off the end of the house,facing south. View is of the brook running into a pond about 30-40 feet away with the surrounding thick woods. On the other side of the pond,land goes uphill,there the trees go up 100 feet. It may be south, but in the winter the sun emerges late behind the hilltop,sinks early. Had 4 seventy foot trees taken down,too close to the house with branches overhanging the roof for this project. Originally was to be a deck, then of course, the plans expanded to a screened room/3 season... to an insulated room/4 season.

Has anyone suggestions for the style of windows? I mean, are sliding ones or double hung or casement better to catch those breezes? The rest of the house has double hung windows,an 11 ft. and 6 ft. bow casements.

I read a recommendation of having 75-80% of the wall in windows/glass. All the better to see that pretty view,but that seems alot of heat/gain loss. What's a better percentage? TIA, Nicky

Comment (1)