SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

The perils of online shopping

lucillle
12 years ago

I thought it would be nice to have a new rug for the dining room. Went to O.com and they had what I wanted, and I ordered it.

Went to a different site to see if there might be a matching runner and it was a completely different color (but there is no question that it is the same rug). O has it described as rust, the other store has it described as burgundy.

O marked it shipped within a couple hours so it can't be cancelled.

Perhaps, on other planets, metals DO rust into a burgundy color.

I'm going to wait and see, maybe I'll like it anyway.

Comments (22)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

??
    If o.com had what you wanted, why does it matter what another site has?

• lucillle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Because I wanted the picture at O, which looks like rust, and the title description says rust, which apparently does not reflect the true burgundy color.
    O does put burgundy as a color in the description below, but lists it by title and by picture as a rust rug.

• Related Discussions

Online mattress shopping.....confused and dazed

Q

Comments (70)
    Not sure if I've plugged them before but I am a very happy repeat customer of Brooklyn Bedding. Their signature hybrid mattress is the one I like, with my preference the soft (they also have medium and firm). I think we've gotten 3 or 4 of them over the years and absolutely LOVE the product. Service is also top notch. I bought a king size for our guest apartment, let it sit in the box till literally the day before the 120 night warranty expired, called and the company cheerfully picked it up and credited my payment. No muss, no fuss. Buying tip: they do 25% off sales for every holiday, so check in for that lower price if you are interested in purchasing.
    ...See More

Any online shops selling dahlia tubers for planting now?

Q

Comments (7)
    agree with them.. but 2 further thoughts ... if you buy potted plants ... now might not be the best time to be planting... you would probably be better off 'holding them over' until a better planting time in fall ... also ... the plant culture variables are key ... and 'plenty hot and sunny' .. is but 2 of them ... when perfecting this.. you need to take them all into account .. e.g. a plant needs a fully established root mass to pump enough water to offset high heat ... you cant... or shouldnt transplant in heat .. disturb the roots ability to pump water ... and then hope the plant shows no stress ... ergo.. you plant when it cools off ... now is a great time to be thinking about this.. and planning.. but not really the time for action ... ken
    ...See More

Recommendations for sofa & furniture shops online or in Seattle?

Q

Comments (1)
    I bought 2 sofas from Couch several (8?) years ago and thought they were great to work with. Really happy with the quality of the sofas too.
    ...See More

best online custom vanity shop

Q

Comments (4)
    What @millworkman said, I had a few calls to repair so-called "custom" vanities purchased online, people spent lots of money and everything started to delaminate or come apart within 4-6 months. For the amounts that some spent you could get locally from a reputable dealer or like he said a local wood shop, at least you know what you get.
    ...See More
  • rockmanor
    12 years ago

Lucille, is it possible that the rug manufacturer offers this rug in different colors? Maybe they make several variations that are predominantly rust, burgundy, blue or green. That's not uncommon.

Just in case that's not the situation with the rug you ordered, you could take a screen shot of the O description and save it in your files (for proof, if needed.) If, when the rug arrives, you find that it's not actually rust colored, contact O and explain that the item they shipped does not match its description. If they are at fault, they should provide a UPS call tag to have the rug picked up at your home for return and refund, at no cost to you. I've had a couple of problems with O products not matching their descriptions, and in each case this is what I did. Once I had to work at getting the return/refund made, but the other times it was handled with very little hassle.

JCP has done the same, although in my experience they push hard for the customer to drive to the nearest store to make the return. If the item is small and I need to make that 30 - 45 min. trip (depending on traffic) anyway, I'll do it. For heavy/bulky items I have refused. Please note that in every case, the issue wasn't that I changed my mind or measured wrong or made a mistake in ordering. It was always a case of the product not being as advertised.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

First, is it possible that as you say, there are variations? Maybe, but it says rust in the title, rust in the pic, and burgundy in the description. I should have picked up on that discrepancy, and didn't.

The screen shot is a terrific idea!!! I'm going to wait and see what the 'real rug' looks like, maybe I'll actually like it anyway. I have seen a couple of O rug feedbacks where the buyer said it did not match the description but they liked it anyway.

• avesmor
    12 years ago

If I ordered a rust rug and it came burgundy, I would be gravely dissapointed. Do the pics look the same between sites (i.e. is it just the text description that's different?)

I've been known to call a retailer, tell them I'm looking at something, and ask the person on the phone to describe it to me... is it olive green like an olive, or is it more like an army green? Maybe you could find a place that carried the rug?

I've been considering a rug purchase from O, but have hesitated because of the reviews (you have to pay to ship it back, and upon receipt they decide whether or not to issue a full or part refund? I don't see much room for objectivity there...)

Please let us know how it turns out.

BTW, I once ordered "rust spice" velvet drapes from Target online. They were described as a deep rust color, and looked it in the pictures. What showed up was pretty much bright pumpkin, and I was still out $32 in shipping for their poor description.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    12 years ago

I ordered a hooked wool runner from O. It was described and pictured on their website as having a black background. When I received it, the background was white. Not a good color for an entry door runner. I contacted them and they emailed a UPS return shipping label that I printed and attached to the original packaging. I got my money back, no hassle.

I really, really liked the runner though. O didn't change the description on the website so I went looking for it elsewhere and found it from an eBay seller. No tax, free shipping, and it was black.

There's a very clear difference between black and white - hard to argue with that. But rust and burgundy are very different colors in my book. If you were just interpreting color from a monitor, that's one thing, but using language saying "rust" is not the same as "burgundy".

If you don't get rust, don't be afraid to complain to them about it. It's not like they're calling it "tomato" when you wanted "tomatoe".

seagrass

• lucillle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is the ad I ordered from, not that it does indeed say burgundy in the description but at the same time says rust also in a different part of the description:

Here is a link that might be useful: Rug with identity crisis

• mary_lu_gw
    12 years ago

Checked it out and this is what it says...
    Hand-tufted Oriental Rust Wool Rug (5' x 8')
    * Rug presents traditional design on a rust base highlighted by beige, ivory, and light green
    * Fringeless with cotton backing
    * Primary Color: burgundy

I would definitely take a screen shot of that page and if it is not "rust" I would request return postage/shipping as well as a refund. Hope all turns out well.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

It's gorgeous, and it does look like rust.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

It looks rust to me and it's gorgeous! Howeverk, be leary when it arrives and it's totally off base.

I ordered an inexpensive smallish rug for the book nook, and the online picture made it look bright in color. When I got it, it didn't "pop" like it did online. I kept it anyway.

A few months ago I bit the bullet and ordered a large rug and the online picture made it look a bit pinkish but after reading the reviews, everyone said it was deep burgandy and not pink. So I risked it and it was PERFECT. Burgandy, not at all pink.

Whew!

• Lyban zone 4
    12 years ago

Well, that link you sent is very confusing.
    It looks rust, they say rust in there title and brief descrioption and then in the details mention burgundy.

I would for sure expect a full refund if when it comes, it is not rust.

• avesmor
    12 years ago

Definitely, definitely save both the description and the pictures. Also capture the URL you're viewing, and something showing time (e.g. your toolbar clock). Granted, all those can be photoshopped, but they will help protect you if you need to return and O disputes your claim. (or anyone else in the future)

I once took a big leap and ordered a rug online from a company in England. Per the website picture & description, it was *perfect*. I even called and asked them to confirm it was true to the picture (they sold it in the store), and they said it certainly was. It was pricey and shipping was even more so, but it was perfection...

What arrived couldn't have been more different. The colors were completely COMPLETELY off (e.g. pictured an olive green, stripe, arrived burgandy). Pattern was completely different. The rug was a handwoven wool kilim and described as "soft and plush" and looked like a 50 yr old farm rug.... What showed up was scratchy, almost like burlap, and looked like an outdoor rug. And on and on. I asked them to refund and they said no, item was handmade so therefore slight variations would occur. So I put the two pics side-by-side in a PDF and them itemized each difference and told them -- yeah, the color is off or there are two square designs instead of 1, I get it. But NOTHING about these two rugs is the same (not even the size).

In the end they refunded sales price, shipping, and told me to keep the rug since for them to pay return shipping was more than their profit margin on the rug. But without diligent records of exactly what I thought I was buying & when, I would not have had that success (and even then, I still had to play tough and work on this for about 2 weeks).

Anyone want an ugly, scratchy rug from England?

• emagineer
    12 years ago

Have bought from O many times. Always had great customer service. Just recieved my latest rug from them and they added a 15% off on top of sale. I had missed the date on it. Calling them is a good experience too. They go out of their way to answer questions.

I always check other sites for the same product too. Sometimes O is a higher price. And I always go for free shipping or try to find coupons, percent off. Google the product name (and model code if possible) with words "free shipping and coupon". The coupons work half the time depending upon dates.

This last purchase was another 9 X 12 wool rug. Both were great purchases and the colors wonderful. No they were not the exact as expected, but I was more than pleased with them. This last one was actually better than I'd planned. Along with colors, check on the height of pile, this can tell you even more about the rug.

It is really difficult to identify the true color with any online purchase. O doesn't show the different sizes of one product found. I've had to find something and then use their search for it. Oddly, the photos of the different size/shapes of rugs will give you different monitor colors of the same rug. One looked at was rust/orange and gads...it was a really bright orange shown on another page.

Reading the product reviews helps a bit in identifying a product. You can count on most of the negative reviews, but I read not long ago that people are now paid to write the positive ones. So we can't count on this side of buying now.

Have been scammed once in purchasing online. Had I waited just a day and looked at the reviews it would have told me.
    Thankfully it was Amazon and through my credit card. Both covered the charges. Amazon now has a statement that outside links to products bought will not be covered by them. And you have to be quick with a 30 day complaint for money back on a CC.

Also be sure to check how a product is shipped. If the seller says days before it even leaves a warehouse and does not have shipment tracking, I'd use another company. One purchase took close to the 30 days to get here and it wasn't until I called them, emailed 3 times in one day to get answers... over a week after placing the order the product finally shipped from warehouse. They couldn't tell me who it was shipped with, changed trucks 3 times to get here.

I get a bit cautious when a company actually processes my order and the product lands on my steps within a couple days. This may sound odd, but feels like they run for the sale so I can't change my mind. Gratefully it has been a good experience and nice to see the purchase so quickly.

There should be a "How to buy on the Internet" site somewhere to give us a heads up. I know there are complaint sites to read, but buying online has some cues I would like to know more about.

Sorry, this was long. Bottom line on the rug is to go with your better judgement. With O I'd say yes on personal experience...

• lucillle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm glad you had good service. They did mark my purchase shipped within hours, so I could not cancel, and the rug is supposed to arrive today, so hopefully I will have a report later on.

I might like the rug, who knows, but the more I think about it, advertising a rug by written title and description as rust, but then also in a different part of the description as burgundy, is just at best sloppy advertising and at worst misrepresentation.

It might be a very yummy rug and I may love it, but this experience, and some of the other posters who have recounted their experience with color, makes it seem like it can be a gamble sometimes to buy online. Sometimes gambling is OK, but if your other room colors and furniture are already in place, the difference between rust and burgundy can make a BIG difference.

Will report as soon as I receive the rug whether I got a full house or a complete bust.

• emagineer
    12 years ago

A little too late...but discounts off at O today. Link rejected

• emagineer
    12 years ago

Call O back and see if they will give you 10% off your order. Never hurts to try.

• jockewing
    12 years ago

I have ordered 3 different rugs from Overstock and have ended up returning every one of them. It was a case of too good to be true as they were large wool handknotted rugs I was ordering and the price was just too low for what was described.

I have found that O stocks what look like knock-offs of much higher quality items. One of the rugs I ordered I found what I thought was the exact same rug on Horchow for four times the price. Turns out it was almost an exact copy of the same design in a much lower quality wool with a much smaller knots per inch count. I was quite disappointed. I had the same problem with a light fixture. Same look as another brand for a fourth of the price for a drum shade pendant. But the shade was cheap-o and instead of the thick glass diffuser on the original, the O version was flimsy cheap plastic. Back it went, at no loss to me.

Never had any problem getting O to send a pre-paid shipping label. Just repack the item and schlep it to a UPS store and you're good. If you tell them the rug just didn't match your expectations or the colors were off from the picture or description, in my experience, they will pay for return shipping with no problem at all! They will simply e-mail you a pre-paid shipping label that you print out and attach to the package. It might be a pain, but you won't have to worry about losing any money.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

A rug (unless maybe a small one) is not something I would take a chance on ordering on-line without seeing first.

• natal
    12 years ago

I agree with Tina to some extent. Definitely nothing pricey online. I've ordered a number of 2x3 rugs, a hall runner, and outdoor rugs with no problem.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just got delivered. It's rust!!!!
    Still wondering about the burgundy written description, but at least I got what I was wanting.

• Lyban zone 4
    12 years ago

Great news.
    Enjoy your rug.

• emagineer
    12 years ago

Wow, that is great. And O is always so fast. I loved my rugs from them and they have lasted beyond expectations too...good for you. Yes, enjoy. And post a pic of it in your space.