SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

Need finishing touches in living room

jockewing
12 years ago

I have posted this room before, but I have added a new rug, chairs, and media credenza since the last time. I think the room looks pleasant enough, but I just feel like it's missing something and needs some type of jolt. Please make any suggestions. I really know what I like but I have trouble making everything come together in the end. I really want to change the paint color to something lighter and cooler. You will see some spots where I have tried some swatches. I also know there is too much stuff in the display cabinet. Trying to figure out what I will edit out of there.

Comments (54)

• yayagal
    12 years ago

I think you need some coral color pieces to pop the entire look. You have those tones in the rug, painting etc. so why not make it the "punch" that you need. I've attached a blog that has some ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coral accessories

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

Maybe a bigger piece of pottery from the cabinet on the TV console.

Bits of color like you have on the tray and in the cabinet on the other tables.

I like the Saarinen table.

Maybe the subwoofer could go under one of the side tables if you can figure out the wiring.

• Related Discussions

Finishing touches for living room?

Q

Comments (2)
    I think you need more on your coffee table, maybe bring in some of the colors from the painting over the sideboard. Get a pretty basket/container for the dog toys!
    ...See More

I'm clueless about finishing touches... Help me finish my living room!

Q

Comments (6)
    What a beautiful living room you have made. The credenza under your TV is particularly gorgeous. Here is what I would consider doing if this were my room- just to give you ideas to play off of for a start. I would begin by finding some blue, patterned throw pillows for the sofa and the arm chair. I like Indian block prints. They are classic and fresh. What I have shown is not exactly bargain, Target/Home Goods, but aside from the Ginori, it's not terribly expensive either. Here are some from John Robshaw: And for the blue arm chair, I thought something like this could be fun: Next I would find an orchid or cyclamen for the table by the blue arm chair. I am partial to cyclamens, so here: I would look for a silver cachepot. Here is a simple one from The Enchanted Home. I like how the silver echoes your side table by the sofa. I would like a much simpler/more modern silver cachepot, this is all I could find right now. Then for the coffee table, I would find a few pretty and interesting coffee table books: Assouline, Phaedon, Taschen, Rizzoli all have great, colorful, conversation sparking titles available. It is very common to put stuff on top of books on coffee tables. That is not my thing. I would rather just see something pretty next to the stack of books. Maybe a bowl or a vase in this Ginori pattern (Orientale in azalea): Lastly the table between the sofa and arm chair could use a lamp perhaps. I would look for something sculptural in crystal. Like this from Horchow: Your room is lovely and will come together more and more over time. Don't rush yourself. Wait to find things that really speak to you, so that you infuse the room with your personality.
    ...See More

Finishing touches for living room

Q

Comments (17)
    I'd like to see the front chair legs resting on the rug. That can be done by moving the sofa and rug towards the media unit, as suggested. Doing so will include the chair in the seating area as defined by the rug. Now might be a good time to edit, as well. There's a lot of input in this room, and all of your things are very cool. Take a curatorial approach so the "important" items have room to shine without competition. Perhaps re-purpose the end tables to another room. Instead of a table lamp, consider a floor lamp for the corner to the left of the fireplace. The wall light might work well above the chair. It's current position sort of takes away from your photo gallery wall. The added bonus is that you would have good reading light. And I really like the idea of a console beneath your large photograph on the wall in question! Topped with a table lamp and some greenery, it would be a great vignette. You may not need an end table if the ottoman is sufficient. If not, consider a low key c-table.
    ...See More

Finishing touches in my living room

Q

Comments (9)
    looks good Nick. If I have to comment on something it would be some diff pillows, and the corner dining space. any way you can rotate the rug clockwise a bit, and move the table back away from that corner? Then you could either do a tall plant in the corner, or a hanging plant, and a larger piece of art (or double what you currently have). The other thing you could do is a little bar cart against the wall under the art, or off to the left against the wall under the window. I just feel that corner needs a little more oomph. here are some pics to give you examples of what I'm talking about oh, and somewhere down the road you could do a nice pendant light over the table. larger art. bar cart, pendant and taller plant in corner you could also do a type of buffet against that wall, or under the window
    ...See More
  • lindac
    12 years ago

I believe you posted that room before, and while the credenza and a couple of other touches are helping...my suggestion is still the same....to much symmetry...too many pairs of things. Move some of the pairs, like the pillows and the chairs, together so they become one rather than a pair. Too much symmetry.
    The bits of turquoise are great.

• abundantblessings
    12 years ago

Stop! Perfect!!!

I like bee's suggestion about the speakers, but that's about the only change I'd do right now. I'm not a drapes person, lovely to look at but in someone else's home, especially in the South. I'm also fond of the statuary pedestal as it's a nice nod to Saarinen's MCM and would not recommend introducing anything kitschy. Love it!

• abundantblessings
    12 years ago

ok, I just read pal's post maybe I'll defer to his suggestion on the bigger pottery, but you have to be careful as I don't like things interfering with my view when watching tv so I'd happy with the sparkle on one end and the blue and white bowls on the other. I'd not bring over the Oriental though if you do go bigger.

Oh, on the paint I like the depth of the current color which allows your pieces to be seen.

• roarah
    12 years ago

I love your room as is!! The rug looks great! I like the white table and i love a cocktail table by the chair i sit in:) The only thing I would change is the tech stuff ie the stereo equiptment I would try to hide, but even with it the room is very lovely I think the wall color works well with the room. Nice job!

• always1stepbehind
    12 years ago

You have done an amazing job. You obviously have great taste and so far have done a fabulous job putting your room together.

Love the new chairs.

In regards to paint, I agree not to go any lighter. I don't think you should go blue or grey (whatever that little sample is on the wall)

I would go a darker shade of what you have currently have-or one of the brownish shades from your rug. (hard to tell colors accurately, but from my monitor, there looks to be a shade of brown or mocha)

• jockewing
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bee, those are the Klipsch quintet speakers. How do you move the subwoofer? Unless you run wires through the walls, how do you connect it to the receiver?

It's funny how everyone thought that is a little elephant. It is actually just a carved tree trunk. It has natural knots and gnarls and a little lid that comes off and it's very heavy.

I used to have drapery panels on all the windows. When I added the trim around all the windows, I took them down and noticed how much airier and larger the room looked without them. I have thought about adding some back, especially since you can see through the shades pretty easily at night.

The paint color is SW Ramie. Sometimes I like it, but other times I think it is too dark. I hate hate hate the lighting in the room. It all comes from an ugly ceiling fan light kit. I would love to change out that light and augment with some recessed halogens. The room always has this yellowish cast from the lightbulbs in the fan and it drives me crazy. I have tried all different kinds of bulbs and nothing fixes it. I really crave the crisp white light from halogens, but because I have a tray ceiling, I'm not sure how I would position them in the ceiling effectively. Lamps definitely help, but there is no place to put lamps on the side of the room with the TV.
    Here are some pictures of the ceiling. Please, if you have any suggestions to improve the lighting and get rid of that ugly fan, please help!

• caminnc
    12 years ago

Love your room. I would pull that goldish/brownish color from your rug for paint color. I also think the chairs would look better not on an angle but that's just me. I rarely like anything on an angle. Love, love your lamps and your rug and also the large pottery pieces are awesome.

• abundantblessings
    12 years ago

I like the tiny halogen pots on a dimmer and would probably do 5, one in the center with four in a square radiating off the middle, but you have to come in a bit probably because of the vent. If you go that route, I'd also consider leds behind cove molding on the outer rim. You can always replace the ceiling fan with a simple shade pendant like this one, but search for a less expensive version with a thin shade if that appeals to you. This one is nice because if has one or down lighting, but it's pricey.

Here is a link that might be useful: Duplo

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

yep, same speakers.

I do believe we have a long cable/wire that we used, it runs down into the basement and under the floor and then up on the other side. Do you have the other 2 little speakers on the other side of the room? How did you get them there? Follow that same path, just buy a bigger wire.

Not suggesting you do this, but in our bedroom when I decided to go with the white ceiling on purpose rather than a color, I painted my ceiling fan white to just blend away. With such an interesting ceiling, have you considered a color up there? Maybe the ceiling fan would blend into the background.

Ok, forget the elephant. Can you move that tree trunk over to act as a side table? lol

bee

• jockewing
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I appreciate everyones' suggestions about the brown from the rug as a wall color, but I hate brown. I am totally into grays and cooler colors right now. I really am not sure this rug works here or will even stay. I bought it from an online site and I did have the option to return it. However, I got it at a great price and it is a very high quality rug, I was too hesitant to return it and ended up keeping it. I am considering getting wood flooring put in and I think that may help the rug pop out.

I just don't know what to do. I don't like the way this room opens right off the front door and it serves as the pathway throughout the whole house. It makes it feel less like an actual room unto itself and really screws with furniture placement.

Anyway, sorry to complain. I guess I should consider myself lucky to have a decent home with nice things. I am just really cranky right now because I am trying to pick a paint color for my bathroom and it is driving me crazy!

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

If you are intent on doing something I would do a simple white ceiling fan. The ceiling looks like its from a different room.

Sorry, I think most ceiling fan manufacturer's are anti-interior design sadists. I would do something simple like a Minka Aire Concept I or II fan.

If I were going to start poking holes are running wires, I would put sconces flanking the credenza. I also have a thing against living rooms with ceiling lights.

You could also put a small plug in floor uplight behind the plant.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    12 years ago

I think a small touch of humor or quirkiness is all you need. Your room is beautiful, but serious. A pillow or two with a retro graphic image maybe?

• natal
    12 years ago

The fan isn't bad, but I'd consider removing the light kit and putting a floor lamp somewhere in the room for additional lighting.

• gwbr54
    12 years ago

If you don't need a ceiling fan, perhaps replace with a pendant or chandelier with indirect lighting that bounces off the ceiling. Use a dimmer so that the lighting is subtle, with your table lamps, floor lamps, etc. doing the real work. I'm not a fan of recessed lighting in living rooms, either -- the light is always in my eye, or too bright, or the ceiling looks like swiss cheese.

Like lindac, I previously commented on the rigidity of too many matching paired items in a symmetrical layout. OTOH, the idea of wall sconces either side of the TV is great. As nice as the space is, I'd loosen it up -- especially by changing the artwork. If I remember, you had an Asian piece with horses maybe?

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

I really like the room!

Like the window treatments as is.

I agree, your ceiling fan does not seem to match the rest. It seems too traditional.

Love the tulip table. If you don't like it, I'll be happy to take it off your hands, LOL.

The credenza looks awesome! Gorgeous piece!

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

Your room was lovely before, but even better with the new rug and the chairs. I also like your wall color, but if you want to paint something, how about the ceiling in either a soft blue or a lighter shade of the wall color? I also think you could mix in some pops of orange with perhaps IKAT pillows on the turquoise sofa. I also particularly like your coffee table decor.

• abundantblessings
    12 years ago

If you go with a sleek white fan, the light won't be great so I'd definitely add the sconces. I know I've suggested these before, and the ones I'm linking are faux but I recommend getting the real stone version as light through the translucent stone is beautiful. I love this style with a little veining, on a dimmer in the incandescent not fluorescent. I think they're sleek, understated and provide wonderful light. Look on ebay for the best price.

Here is a link that might be useful: alabaster sconce

• bixa525
    12 years ago

Love your room just the way it is. Can you tell me where you purchased your artwork above the sofa? It's really nice.

• jockewing
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The artwork is from Z Gallerie. It is nice but I have been on the hunt for something different forever. I feel the colors are just more of the same as what's already in the room. I would love to have an abstract original oil canvas.

• htnspz
    12 years ago

It's looking really great! Just a couple of things. I agree that the chairs look a little odd turned out the way they are. There's a couple of pieces that I'm looking at suspiciously such as the Tulip table and the two pillows on the sofa.

The symmetry is making it a little contrived so maybe rethink one of the pieces.

I think you're going to have to play with some of these things a little to get it right.

I think one of my things is that it feels a little sterile. I feel like I don't know who you are.

I don't have too many answers I'm afraid. You're thisclose to something really fabulous. Keep at it! :)

• jerseygirl_1
    12 years ago

Jockewing,

Since you furnishings are so neutral, try pulling in color with pillows to give the room pop. The ones you have now continue to make your room neutral. I love your rug!
    The wall color is fine. The white side table is fine.

We have 2 speakers on our entertainment center. I have one hidden by a large murano glass plate on a stand that I bought at C&B. Actually it is part of a grouping using the plate and 2 different shaped and sized vases in front of the plate which bring more color into the room. C&B really does have a wonderful and colorful selection. We placed the grouping on the side of the TV so it does not interfere with the screen. The other speaker is behind the TV. Our woofer is very narrow and sits on a bottom shelf in the cabinet. Not sure if you are trying to avoid drilling holes in the back of your credenza but it may help for placement and hiding purposes.

Check out some artwork by George Braque, Miro, and other modern artists that are not commonly seen on this forum. We have framed lithographs from a collection of old French magazines called Derriere Le Miroir which are from the 60's, There may be some bargains on ebay or you may find them in one of those wonderful shoppes you go to. Braque is one of my favs.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

What's that big black thing on the floor?
    I would put energy and money into replacing, or hiding it. I would hid the speakers too. I have ours in baskets.

but I love everything else! Including your rubber (?) plant.

• katrina_ellen
    12 years ago

I like the idea Pal had for a light behind the plant. That would look great at night. If I had one piece of unwanted advice, I would say relax and enjoy your beautiful room, and re-arrange or add what really is you.

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

I echo Katrina's thoughts. Great room. Love those chairs! They're so cute & look quite comfy!

• Happyladi
    12 years ago

You have a beautiful room and it looks fine the way it is. I like the pillows but some with a little more color might look good. I like the wall color and I like the fan, too. You could do a simple white fan but I don't think it would make much difference.

• alicate
    12 years ago

I love your room as is. But....here's some ideas.

1. Colorful fun pillows on the couch.
    2. To remove some symmetry and to add a touch of whimsy, how about taking off the two urns/vases on top of the china cabinet and putting something fun up there. Maybe a weather vane or a fun basket or something like that. Think fun and not so serious.
    3. I LOVE your pics above the sofa. It makes it look like a page out of a design magazine.
    4. I love your paint color. Why change it?
    5. Maybe less knick-knacks on the tv stand?

That's it for my humble suggestions. If you left it "as-is" it would still be more than beautiful!

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

I really love your living room and all of the progress you've made. The new TV console is perfect and I really like the new chairs. Would you considering moving one of the large vases/urns off of the top of the china cabinet and onto the TV console? It feels like that area needs a little more decorative weight and color. Maybe you could also take a larger item from the china cabinet and put it either on the coffee table or on a side table? Looks like you have a lovely large collection in there, and maybe you could distribute some of it in other parts of the room to tie things together.

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

I think your room is lovely. The only thing I would remove is the round table next to the chair. It doesn't seem to match the vibe of the room. I don't think you need to change your paint color.

If you want to add a punch of color, I would consider a coral throw for the sofa. Can't tell on my monitor if your chair is pink? If the chair is pink, I might choose a different color for accent. Anyhoo, lovely room. Just a tiny bit of a bold color accessory might do the trick for your satisfaction.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I've always loved your room, so peaceful looking!

Our TV is set up like your's but it's not on the wall. We also have the SubW on the floor next to it.

Here's what we did and I really like it. The TV is scooted to the very end of the console. Gasp! It's not centered! lol

On top of the open end of the console I have some antique brass accessories of various sizes. Nothing too high though, because right next to it I have a large Palm plant sitting on the Woofer.

I agree with Yaya, I'd add some brighter blue or even rust/burgandy to give the room some pop. But the "red's" are always my answer when someone needs color. I love red & it would go well in your room, IMO. We also have a bluish rug with reddish accessories. Great match!

I like your fan, but what about adding little lamps with colorful lamp shades in corners in the room? I'd use lamps that call for 60w bulbs. You'd be surprised at how much light they give off. They would add more color, light and ambience to the room.

• gwbr54
    12 years ago

Examples of pendant vs ceiling fan:

• Happyladi
    12 years ago

Why does everyone hate ceiling fans? I don't know anyone who doesn't have ceiling fans in their living/family room and bedrooms. It makes all the difference in the comfort of the room in the summer months. I can keep my AC at 78 and not be too hot. I have 8 ceiling fans, I even have one in my master bathroom!

When my daughter bought a house the previous owner had a chandelier in the bedroom which was very unusual around here. My daughter had a ceiling fan in there within a week of move in.

Now, there are some ugly ceiling fans but there are also some really nice looking ones, too.

• gwbr54
    12 years ago

Jock complains about the room's lighting - hence the suggestion to change the ceiling fan. I do like ceiling fans, but I've never found one that also serves as a great pendant lamp.

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

Maybe the ceiling fans are bad thing started with all the Trading Spaces and HGTV designers hating them-

I agree there are nice looking ones and ugly ones, just like anything else.

• natal
    12 years ago

Living in Louisiana it makes more since to add lamps or floor lighting.

• always1stepbehind
    12 years ago

The current ceiling fan is not bad looking, especially if it's needed for air circulation.

I love the mock up of the first pendant light. Not so much #3 though.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I LOVE those pendant mock ups but I live with a fan obsessed husband and we have fans in almost every room. Our great room has a ceiling fan that he turns on every night the moment he comes home from work.
    If possible, I would get rid of the ceiling fan and set up a retro floor fan. At least you can put it away each year for a few months.
    That was about the only way I would have a dining room chandelier. We have floor fan in the dining/kitchen room.

Not complaining though, I have free rein with most things as long as I accommodate a few decorating peccadillos....

• loribee
    12 years ago

Jock...I love the soft colors and pretty things that you pair up with just a hint of "pop" in your room. (Does that make any sense???) It's soooo lovely, polished and traditional; like the sofa and new rug, yet you add fun touches like the the new chairs and Saarinen table! You really have achieved such a fabulous space that I would love~~
    How easy would it be to switch it up from time to time if you'd like with say, coral pillows and a throw or maybe navy would be fun, too!
    I think once you change your fan out and add your wood floors, you really will be happy. :)

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

The problem with ceiling fans is that about 90% have Victorian details, and would be most appropriate in a room with saloon doors and a spitoon, and very few people decorate like that.

They need to get more sophisticated -- like this room is. I am not blaming people who put them in. We buy what's available. My next house will at least have two that I can think of. The problem is that there is a choice between "The Big Valley" Victorian and "2010: A Space Oddysey", with very little in between.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I spec'd ceiling fans for a couple of client's living rooms or family rooms that automatically came with a choice of light kit or the blank, and I HID the light kits until after the house was done :P. I didn't want their LR or FR looking like the interrogation room. Kids especially will just turn on whatever's easiest. And a single light in the middle of a living room or family room generally looks glary and awful. Don't believe me? Take pictures of the room and of yourself in a room with the just the center light on or with lamps on and evaluate the difference.

• abundantblessings
    12 years ago

pal, I agree about traditional fans in a MCM or otherwise sophisticated setting, but think some here have decor that they blend right in. Jock doesn't, and hopefully will keep true to his vision.

Pendant lights with lovely linen shades and diffusers, operated judiciously with dimmers, can work in this type of setting given he has lamps for ambient lighting, but I totally understand your distain for central glare. Transitional ceiling fans with separate up and down lighting on dimmers also can provide nice lighting, but not everyone likes ceiling fans or finds them appropriate in formal rooms.

BB, I haven't yet seen the Dyson room fan without blades, but maybe Mr BB would like them.

• gwbr54
    12 years ago

Wow -- that Dyson fan is cool! (pun intended). Thanks for mentioning it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dyson fan

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Abundant, I have seen those! They are neat but too contempo for my house! Mr. BB could care less as long as I don't spend money...

• gwbr54
    12 years ago

Wow -- that Dyson fan is cool! (pun intended). Thanks for mentioning it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dyson fan

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

I know you don't need this photo at all.....but I was looking at a real estate ad, and this painted ceiling really caught my eye. I love the way the room instantly has "color" just by having this ceiling painted. Take from it what you will, and even if that means you think I'm nuts for showing it....

I like the way with the color being used in 3 places (ceiling, drapes, and throw) the room seems to have taken on that color. Maybe you could do the same if you love the coral in the rug? Coral ceiling? coral accessories (pillows) and then the rug.

• graywings123
    12 years ago

It is a lovely room, but it shows very little about you as a person, except for the collection of apothecary jars.

I agree with Deedee99: I think a small touch of humor or quirkiness is all you need.

• jockewing
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to everyone for all your help!

Yes I am in Louisiana and fans are de rigeur here. But honestly, I never use the fan in the living room except when I mop the floor so it dries faster. Now in the bedrooms, fans are a necessity because I can't sleep without one. I love some of the mockups of the lights. I really think now that removing this "glare bomb" fan will go a long way to reducing the ugly yellowish cast to the room. The fan really does not go with the decor at all. I love transitional style with MCM and even maybe a little Hollywood Regency glamour and chinoiserie mixed in, and that Victorian style fan definitely looks like it belongs in an 1890's parlor! Now I have to find the right light.

I really love the look of drum shade pendants, but I have noticed they don't give off that much light because the shade blocks most of it. I guess I will have to start looking.

BTW, there is no coral in the rug. It is a brown color. Guess maybe it appears that way in the pictures.

• abundantblessings
    12 years ago

Jock, some drums are more translucent that others, and some are halogen. The Duplo is halogen, top and bottom diffusers with up or down lighting but unfortunately can't be lit simultaneously, and on a dimmer goes from candlelight glow to in-your face, I've got to find my diamond bright. The problem is the price, but you can find replicas for less. Slim drum shades, out of linen or as in the Duplo a fine pleat, makes for nice light but halogen is definitely a good choice. Since it's just a single bulb, heat throw-off is not a problem.

A lot will depend on how high you want this over your table. I'm not wild about lights hung too high up, and I'd be careful to find a simple cable and not an obtrusive structure which shouts for attention. I'd rather then use halogens pots. Whatever you decide, you'll likely use this source most frequently to augment, not eliminate, your ambient lights so you'll need the dimmer.

• nosoccermom
    12 years ago

With respect to the ceiling fan/light. How about getting one of these kits?

Here is a link that might be useful: fan light kits