SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

Finally...Update on my bedroom

msrose
13 years ago

As some of you will remember, I had been planning how I wanted to decorate my bedroom when I bought my new house. I was thinking about buying some round tables to go on either side of the bed and y'all convinced me to try my current table and I've decided I'm going to keep it. I haven't decided if I'm going to put a wood table on the other side or a table covered in fabric. The room really looks more cozy and not as empty as it looks in these picture, but I still not some advice on how to finish it up.

I'm thinking about getting a clear vase and filling it with glass marbles and some dried hydrangeas to put on the left side of the dresser. I temporarily set the lamp on the dresser until I get another bedside table, but I could leave it there if it works.

I was thinking about putting two or three plates in this color on either side of the window:

{{!gwi}}

My son thinks I'm crazy for wanting to put plates in the bedroom, but people do that, don't they?

Do you think I need pictures behind the bedside table or is the picture in the middle enough?

Any other ideas for how to finish it off?

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Which table do you like (previous post)

Comments (37)

• fillagirl
    13 years ago

A blanket or coverlet, folded lengthwise and lain across the bottom of the bed would add a bit of 'cozy'....I've added a link fyi...

Here is a link that might be useful: image

• homebodymom
    13 years ago

Your bedroom looks great! So relaxing. I think plates would look nice next to the window, but then again I have a "thing" for plates in ANY room. I agree that a coverlet and a few throw pillows would cozy up the bed. Maybe a nice chair in one of the corners?
    Love the furniture too!

• Related Discussions

Small bedroom design TINY BOX of a bedroom

Q

Comments (45)
    mammapinky Yes, they are. I did that on purpose. I wanted a different illusion than just the mirrors hanging, if that makes sense. I want the mirrors and curtains anchoring the bed, like a headboard. Thank you! To everyone mentioning the mirror height, don't tell my husband! (lol) He absolutely hates hanging curtains, shelves, mirrors and paintings. haha I'll have to wait to the weekend or a day we both have the time and we shall raise them. I'll have to ease him into it. ;) Should they go the same height as the curtains? Thing is, raising them any higher and the bottom of the mirrors show, which is not the effect I was going for. :/ chickadee2_gw Wow, thank you so much! :) I truly find this sight inspiring. I really appreciate all of the help you all have to offer! :) And now I can finally move on to the kitchen! rebeccamomof123 That really made me smile. :) I am so thrilled with how it all turned out and it is so nice having people to share it with, who understand. :) Thank you so much!
    ...See More

4 bedrooms remodeled to 3 bedrooms?

Q

Comments (8)
    Depends on your skill level. How are experienced are with demo, framing, drywall, spackling, trim work, etc? If you are getting a bank loan it may be against the loan agreements. Your building dept may not allow it as you wioll more than likely need permits and a C of O. As you mention electrical work would need an electrician. Realistically if you need to ask if this would be DIY'able it probably is really not a good idea to attempt.
    ...See More

Teen bedroom & Guest bedroom ideas

Q

Comments (1)
    Bump for the teen room layout ;) There are not many threads on this topic. Maybe post sketch with room dimensions?
    ...See More

Master Bedroom - White Walls - Distressed Black Bedroom Furniture

Q

Comments (4)
    You may want to start saving inspiration rooms you love; it will really help if you have a direction. I would purchase the rug fist vs bedding and cushions so you have a style to build on. Be sure to use various colors, patterns and textures so it feels more interesting The headboard is high and I think art above each night stand would be more complimentary and use small brass lamps for a modern look. You could add the sign on another wall If you need a bedskirt, a more tailored style would feel more modern Dresser and tv wall - mirror, plant, chair, art, baskets
    ...See More
  • les917
    13 years ago

A very pretty room!

Just wondering if you need a table on the other side of the bed? I think it looks fine the way it is.

Love the plates, but I would put them over the bed, to bring some pattern to that wall. Putting them by the window might be too much of the pattern thing in one area.

Move the piece of art that is over the bed to the wall to the left of the bathroom entrance. It feels small above the bed, but I think would be a great fit there.

Could you slide the dresser to the left about 4-6 inches? I think it would give enough room for a small armchair in that corner, perhaps in a soft blue that picks up on the fabric in the drapery?

I think the lamp is fine on the dresser. The hydrangeas sound pretty, but I would keep the vase low, and look for something solid in a creamy white rather than clear glass and marbles. Let the clear lamp be the star.

I think this decorative pillow could be a lovely addition to the bed:

olive branch embroidered pillow

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

So pretty! I agree a comfy chair in a corner woud be pretty. Also, I would move the photograph to the dresser. It seems too big for the bedside chest-which looks fabulous there by the way!

• elsa42
    13 years ago

Pretty room! I love the bedskirt with the drapery. I would pull one of the colors from the drapes and do a solid fabric covered table on the other side of the bed. I agree with Les that a chair would look good in the corner (soft blue would be pretty with a lumbar pillow done in the bedskirt fabric). None of the tables you pictured work for me either. It's tricky to get the right look when you have two different night tables!
    About the plates - if you love them, use them but I would have them put in shadow boxes to give them more importance. I think that would take away the "dining room" feel.
    I like the lamp on the dresser. Try the photo propped beside it and the hydrangeas (or nice green plant) on the other side.
    I also agree a couple of pillows and perhaps a throw on the bed would dress it nicely.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

I agree with Les's suggestions. I LOVE plates in a bedroom - in just about any room, really.

I also would use a throw, duvet or quilt on the bottom of the bed. If it were me, I'd probably use a solid duvet in one of the blue/aqua colors in your curtains/bedskirt and also another set of shams in the same color. I woudl still consider adding a decorative pillow - love the long ones.

on the chest across from the bed, I would add some photos, in beautiful frames (silver?) and maybe candles.

Beautiful!

tina

• deserae
    13 years ago

Your room is gorgeous!!!! I think you have recieved some great advice so far :o) Can you tell me where you got your bed skirt at? I have been looking everywhere for one with those colors and have had no luck. Thanks!
    ~Des

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! My original plan was to put a blanket at the end of the bed, but I struggled so much with finding the right color that I finally gave up. Someone mentioned mixing in whites with the creams I have in the room and using a white blanket at the end, but I'm too matchy matchy for that. Here's my attempt at a blue one, but I wasn't sure I like it, so I took it back.

The reason I have the dresser where it is, is it's directly across from the bed. Do you think it would look okay if I moved it to the left and they weren't lined up?

I definitely don't need a table on the left. I just wondered if it would make it feel more cozy if it did. I'm trying to find the balance between cozy and crowded :)

cyn - I set the picture on the bedside table because I wasn't sure what else to do with it. I can't believe I hadn't thought to try it on the dresser. I could also hang it on one of the walls somewhere.

Here's my inspiration picture:

Do you think I should do tall pictures behind the tables like she did?

Les - I was thinking the clear vase and marbles would tie in with the lamp. Here's a picture I saved because I loved the hydrangea arrangement and it sounds like this is more of what you're thinking.
    {{!gwi}}

deserae - My mother made the bedskirt from fabric I got from Calico Corners.

Laurie

• gwbr54
    13 years ago

I love the play of light and dark in your room -- it's really lovely. The light colored carpet seems to have made a huge difference in the room - even if you hadn't changed your furniture. Your inspiration photo is gorgeous, and I'd go for sincere flattery and find similar pillow shams and a fluffy comforter for the foot of the bed. You may not be able to find the artwork pair for either side of the bed, but you could stretch fabric over frames for a similar effect. Your draperies are pretty, but they would be drop-dead gorgeous if they were more expansive, completely covering the walls on either side of the triple window.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Hmmm....I like the ideas that Les has suggested too~
    Beautiful room Laurie, I bet you are truly enjoying it!

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So, do you think one of these styles of chair would look good or are you picturing something else?
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• susanlynn2012
    13 years ago

I also like all of Les' suggestions. I like the first chair you are showing but wish someone would Photoshop it in the room to see how it would look. I love the chest of drawers next to your bed. I always loved very dark furniture or very light furniture since I had golden oak all my life and got board of it.

• les917
    13 years ago

I would go with something like the first chair, because I think you have enough wood in the space. It also feels a bit more like a comfy bedroom chair to me.

You could do something in a blue or blue print, or stay with a cream and then add a pretty pillow with the blue and brown tones, a soft blue throw over the arm.

The blanket on the end of the bed is a little Âblankety and heavy. I would look for something more thow-like, perhaps tweedy or mohair. Something like this:

winthrop throw

• les917
    13 years ago

I hit enter too fast! LOL I meant to add that I think putting the flowers in a white stoneware vase would be a great link to the plates. Even better, if you could find a soup tureen or other bowl in the brown stoneware pattern and use that for the flowers, it would really make the plates feel like they belonged in the space, and would bring some pattern over to the dresser.

You might also consider getting some blue ribbon that matches the blue in the curtains, and using that around the top and bottom rims of the lampshades. Some regular craft glue like Tacky Glue works, or some fabric glue that is clear. It will just take small dots all the way around, but work a little at at time so it doesnÂt dry out before you get there with the ribbon. A blue velvet or grosgrain would be very elegant.

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, Les, that throw has all the colors of my bedroom in it. Okay, so now I need to find a cheaper version of chair #1 since it's above my budget :)

lynn - My last house was full of medium oak, so I'm going through a phase where I either like dark wood or painted white wood.

• les917
    13 years ago

Be sure to check Craigslist for chairs.

Not sure what your budget is, or if you have an IKEA near you, but maybe this one?

ektorp jennylund chair - look for linghelm light brown cover on the drop down if this links to the white cover choice

• susanlynn2012
    13 years ago

Msrose, I am in the same situation where I now want either dark wood or painted white wood and that is why my bedroom is now an off-white distressed painted Maple bedroom furniture and I am trying to decide what I want to do in the kitchen but I am so tired of golden oak.

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

Mrs.rose, did you move into a new place? I see the window looks wider than in the first pic. Congrats on moving if you did! Hope you are doing well. Your new bed is gorgeous! The addition of two euro pillows in front of your sleeping pillows and a smaller accent pillow will make the whole look! Do you have any leftover fabics? An accent pillow or lumbar pillow would bring that pattern to the top of the bed. If you could use both fabrics, that would be great. Add that throw Les found either on the bed or a chair and it will really add to the look you are going for. The nightstand looks perfect for the bedside. An alternative to art could be mirrors hanging over the night table. The light from the lamp would bounce some more light around the room and add that bit of sparkle. In the link are pics of several styled beds with pillow arrangements and art of all sizes over the nightstands. All of them look great. It is a matter of what appeals the most to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beds

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

kmcg85 - Yes, I moved. The other room is at my mother's house where I was living after my divorce. Now I finally have my very own house!!

OMG, I love all of the beds on your link. The problem with pillows is that I don't make my bed alot of times. I know, it's a shame to buy all this pretty stuff and then not make your bed, but that's just me. Several of those pictures have round mirrors over the bed, just like my inspiration picture. I'm still wondering if I should do that? I also like how picture #26 has two pictures behind the bedside tables.

So, as far as the throw, do y'all like the idea of blue, cream, tan, or the multicolor?

Laurie

• nicole__
    13 years ago

Do it! A round mirror would be beautiful! AND a chair! :0)

I say stick to your inspirational picture for colors for a throw. White....

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

Yes, a round mirror would look great and stacked art above the night stand!

• User
    13 years ago

Lori your room looks great!

As usual, Les made very excellent points. I also think it looks nice beside the table. I would use the plates in the room somewhere. I like the white vase with hydrangeas idea. I like the first chair you posted. Looks comfy.

I really think whatever throw you get for the end should be thick and fluffy. I think it gives it a more rich/lush look.

Yes to the round mirror and stacked art!

I know what you mean about pillows and making the bed. I'm struggling with that decision. Unfortunately pretty isn't alway practical. Maybe just the one accent pillow to add some more color to the bed.

• deserae
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info on the bed skirt...it is gorgeous! I recently purchased a sunburst mirror on eBay and thought you might be interested in it for above your bed?!?! It is not as bright a gold as pictured.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360112820092&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

Beautiful room. I'd add some decorative pillows along with some shams with colors pulled from your WT. Also, love a throw at the bottom of the bed. I think adding in some accessories with a bit of color would warm it up.

• saltnpeppa
    13 years ago

Laurie,
    Congratulations on your new home!! Your bedroom is looking beautiful! I think you've gotten some great suggestions so I'll go along with a few mentioned.

Chair - look at CL, consignment stores, and garage sales - you can often find "bedroom chairs" from the 60's which are much smaller scale.

Bedding - it looks like your matelasse cover is long enough to tuck your pillows under - like a bedspread? If you could do that....then I'd consider getting one Euro sized pillow to place in the middle. I totally understand not making the bed & lots of pillows are just more work!! I suggested a monogram before or like suggested above working the 2 fabrics into the pillow. I love the link to Phoebe Howard that Kmcg provided (gosh, her bedrooms are dreamy!) But I noticed she often had the same color duvet cover folded at the foot of the bed. It just makes the bed so fluffy & inviting!

My mom got a really cute starburst mirror from Pier 1 for like $30 that would look great above your bed. Or have you seen the new Ballards with Suzanne Kasler? She has a collection of smaller starburst mirrors.

I'm also wondering how 2 more panels on your windows would look to cover up the sheetrock between the windows.

It is looking gorgeous!

Smiles:)

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

I would place the transferware above your bed, it's a good look, it is.

And if you ever get tired of that look, and you want a small change. You can take the finals off that bed and buy a frame and have bed curtains made (it would take eight curtains) but your ceilings may be too low.

Good luck Mrs. Rose on starting your new life and home!

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I would actually love to have something thick and fluffy at the end of my bed, but that's where I ran into problems the last time I looked. I couldn't find anything in the cream color that matches my matelasse. Also, I'm guessing most of those on Mrs. Howard's page are duvet covers. We've actually been having a discussion about those on shee's post. The only one I ever bought was from BBB and even though it was a full/queen, it was hugh. I bought a king size comforter to go in it and it still didn't seem to fill it up. Does anyone have any suggestion or where else I could look for a cream duvet cover.

I'm still torn about whether I want the circle/starburst or dishes behind the bed. If I do go with the mirror, I think I want something in silver instead of gold. Here's a couple that I found, but I just noticed the one in my inspiration picture is smaller than most of these

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

scooby - My mother would disown me if I asked her to add more fabric to the curtains :) The window here is much wider than the room I had at her house, so she had to add fabric to the valance to make it wider. The curtain rod is so long that it kept falling apart on us when we were trying to put it up. I do agree that it would be pretty and I wish I had though of it before. What color was your mom's starburst. I'd love to find something for $30.

Laurie

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Any votes on which mirror you like best?

• les917
    13 years ago

If you are going to use the plates, then I would forget the mirror. You already have some strong circular things in the space, including the demilune window and the clock. Then having the plates added in, I think you may end up with a lot of visual conflict, rather than the peaceful elegance you seek.

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hmmm, you do have a point, les. It's funny but I didn't realize I was so drawn to circles until you mentioned it :) I was even thinking about putting a round table covered in fabric on the left side of the bed. That's why I love this place. Y'all point out things that I don't even think of. Now I'll have to give it some thought and decide what I want more...the plates or the mirror. Thanks!

Laurie

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

okay, I'm sorry to be a pain, but I have another question. I found this duvet cover at Restoration Hardware. I hate the thought of paying this much money for something that's just going to be folded at the end of the bed, but I also want to create the perfect look. It's $169 for the duvet, which I know probably isn't bad, but then I still have to find something to go in it. Any suggestions on what to put in it? It says it's ivory, but I won't know if it's the same color as my matelasse until I order it. I would get the one that has the sticting in the ivory (the 1st sample on the left). What do you think?
    I have a queen bed, so would the full/queen come down too far on the sides?

Here is a link that might be useful: RH duvet

• les917
    13 years ago

Your money, but I guess I donÂt see spending that kind of money for something that is just about a look, if you are suggesting that it wonÂt really be used. Remember, your room is YOUR design - be inspired by the pix you posted, but donÂt feel bound by it.

I would rather see you spend money on a pair of great euroshams and a decorative pillow, or a chair for the corner.

If all that you want is a folded comforter on the end of the bed, you should be able to find one for a much more reasonable price. As for what to put in it, I think you need to be careful - stuffing it with a duvet and folding it might end up with a big ivory lump at the end of the bed. And considering the look you want, I would not do a full/queen, I think it will be too big.

I believe you said that your mom sewed the curtains (nice job!) so why not buy two twin sheets in a pretty shadow stripe, have her sew on two bands of trim; one blue, one brown, perhaps, using pre-made trim, or even a single wider band of the leftover fabric from the drapery - now that would be a custom look! Do that on the sheet that will be the top of the duvet cover, then sew them together to make the cover. Add some pretty mother of pearl buttons for the closure. Stuff with a cheap white twin comforter (not too fluffy) and call it a day?

If she could use another matching sheet to make a couple of euro shams and add a button in the center of each covered in the drapery fabric, youÂd be good to go!

As for matching the coverlet on the bed, you donÂt really want to do that - it isnÂt that way in your inspiration pix, and having some shades of color ties everything together and gives the room depth.

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

That particular duvet cover style can easily be found at Homegoods, TJ and Marshall's. I got the exact same one as in your inspiration pic for $39 at Homegoods for a king. Matter of fact, that is where HPJ185 (the owner of your inspiration pic)got hers. So, I wouldn't spend the $$ either. It came as a set. The shams have the same blue greek key border as the cover. Keep an eye out for one. You'll find it!If you plan on getting a comforter, than I would get that and use that to fold at the foot of you bed. Your insp. pic has a quilt pulled up and the comforter folded. The difference is they both are white. What I do, is use my cream matelisse alone during the summer. In the winter, I put the duvet on the bed with white sheets and fold the duvet in thirds at the foot. Again, I would use any leftover fabric to add to a little accent pillow. The insp. pic uses the blue in the monogram on the pillows.

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

okay, y'all talked me out of spending that much money. I checked TJ Max and Marshalls in the past and they didn't have anything, but maybe I need to check on a regular basis. I had no idea that's where HPJ185 got her's. I actually would much rather find a comforter, but I haven't been able to find one that looks right with the matelasse.

Les - The last time I tried buying a duvet and folded it at the end, it was almost too fluffy like you mentioned. My inspiration picture has just the right amount of fluffy, so what would I put in it to look like that?

Thanks for the link, deserae. That's a much better price.

Laurie

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Wow-a lot has been going on here! Great ideas. To catch up-I like the first chair, too. You may be able to find a small bedroom chair on CL, as someone already suggested.

I agree that a woven throw at the bottom of the bed would look best. I don't think the duvet from RH really fits with your spread, bedskirt, or draperies. I think Pottery Barn and/or RH used to have some throws with several different colors woven into them (sort of tweed-y)-may have been chenille, but very, very soft. Cashmere would be lovely if you want to spend what the RH duvet costs. You could pick up one of the colors from the draperies or bed skirt.

I also like the starburst mirror, but I am not sure if it would be too much with the round clock right across from it and the rounded window. You could try it and see if you like it.

I think the room is so pretty already. I imagine you are having a wonderful time getting it just the way you want it. Can't wait to see the final pics whenever you finish!!!

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

In HPJ's pic, she has PB's pick stitch quilt in white on her bed. I remember reading the details she provided. The duvet from Homegoods is made by "Hotel Collection". It is folded in thirds and sitting on top. It doesn't even come down the foot of the bed. That is the white quilt you see. For me, the square euro pillows add so much to this look.
    Here is a different pic.