SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
magglepuss

carpet removal on stairs. rustic look anyone?

magglepuss
11 years ago

We just removed the carpet on our stairs. We lifted up a corner and knew they were solid pine, but, after further carpet removal, we are not happy with the shape they are in. Originally, I was going to paint them with black treads and white risers. Painting the banister and spindles as well.

We could do a lot of work, calking where possible, replacing the knotty boards, adding a veneer layer for the risers on all because some of them have split wood. I think we could achieve a decent finished product.

However, I found this stair pic, and it has really grown on me. I would still paint the rails and spindles the black / white combo. Also use thin trim, as they have on each stair. But what makes this look work?

I know this treatment would be a lot of work as well, but would like others input on what the details are to ensure it looks rustic, yet finished. Here is the inspiration pic:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-H7aol52fbMg/Tbq69oMmobI/AAAAAAAADHc/hardPZ0ySKs/s1600/rustic+stairs.png

Here are the stairs, and other rooms in the house. Do you think it would work with what I already have done. Thanks for your input.

Same room, but you can see the stair location:

Stairs with half the carpet removed

Nearby kitchen:

Nook and family room:

Comments (16)