SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monicakm1

skydawggy: Need Some Simonton Info PLEASE

monicakm_gw
16 years ago

I have the Reflections 5500 windows. Just installed last Sat. When the salesman was here to sell us the windows, he said there was (in the replacement line) a small and a large frame (width, not depth). He suggested we go with the small frame for two reasons, the style of our home and we'd lose less amt of window (the glass). We agreed and ordered the small frame. I had some questions and called Simonton. During the conversation, they told me that in their replacement window line, the Reflection only comes in one width...3 7/16". Question: is there just one size width in the Reflection line of replacement windows?

Thanks

Comments (13)

• skydawggy
    16 years ago

I am unaware of Simonton having more than one frame size in the Reflections, Impressions or Prism series. The Reflection frame depth in 3.25". My guess is Simonton quoted you the overall depth including the screen track.
    I will contact Simonton tomorrow and see if I can track down what has happened. In the mean time, I'd contact the salesman and let him know what Simonton told you, and ask for an explaination. I would also tilt the window in and look for a white bar coded label located on the sash with the model number on it.

I'll get back to you after I talk to Simonton and let you know what they say.

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

skydawggy, it's not the depth I'm concerned with (unless one affects the other). It's the width. I was given an option of large or small frames (width). I chose the small at the advice of the salesman/owner of the company. They sure looked large to me going in but I had nothing to compare it with. I've been in contact with both Simonton and the owner of the company that installed them. I faxed him a letter containing the series of events and quotes. Haven't heard back yet. This same salesman has never been able to tell me if I have Low E or Low E2 (squared/softcoat). He said they were just Low E and also said that there is no difference in hard coat or softcoat...just a marketing tool. I knew better and the info from Simonton said all their windows are softcoat (low E2)so I let that go. If this wide frame is the norm and the only size for replacement windows, that's fine. I know there's a difference between them and new construction windows. But if there is a small and large (width) I want the smaller width. That's what we ordered, I have a copy of the bid...the same bid that says our windows would have an IG of 7/8". Hummm, Simonton doesn't do a Reflection window in 7/8", only 3/4 and 1". So, do I have 3/4 or 1"? Again, no one can tell me BUT they are saying that since I wanted the 1", that means I had to have the large frame. Yes, it's darn confusing to me too. Well, not really. I know what's going. They said one thing to make the sale, didn't expect to be questioned about it and now changing things around to get more money. I guess I wasn't expected to keep a paper trial or know about Garden Web's Home forums (g) We just tilted in to look for a model number. There was nothing on the window but did find this on the accompanying screen
    8381735/01
    Thanks for your help,
    Monica

• Related Discussions

Hi need some info Please...How do I root Corkscrew vine cuttings?

Q

Comments (2)
    I root them in water with bottom heat. I get the best results with stems that are a bit older, not woody but not super soft new growth either. A little more than half my cuttings usually root. Karyn
    ...See More

Need some info on Formica Basalt Slate please

Q

Comments (15)
    We've had it for 3 years and get soo many compliments on it. (We're renovating now and gutting our kitchen, replacing with granite). It's a soft black with swirls of grey. When you see it in certain lights you can see a bumpy texture which sometimes makes it look more "fake". But overall it has a very sophisticated look to it. There were some chips around our sink during the sink installation but they haven't gotten any bigger or anything. You have to accept the fact that with laminate, any scratches will show. Overall, I would highly recommend it for those looking for an affordable countertop.
    ...See More

Windowsonwashington, Skydawggy, others please advise

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks for the replies. I got their name from the Simonton website. Does that imply anything about their qualifications? Any tips on questions to ask to get a feel for their quality? They have their own crew do the install, not a sub, and seemed to indicate that they would remove/install from the inside, removing the existing interior trim. Does that sound right?
    ...See More

Need Some Info Please

Q

Comments (6)
    "... a fresh sign-on should get you back in with the old username." That is the problem, Elmer. Signing in with the old username will not load Windows 10; it just goes to a green screen and nothing that is suggested to do in that green screen will correct the problem of the corrupted old login. I wish it would. As far as what will not load, it is all of the e-mails, personal folders, tasks, contacts, calendar appointments, just any information I had in Microsoft Outlook. I did a search and was able to find the info, but under my old login name; I changed it to the current login name thinking that might load the material, but it didn't. I was able to find all of my material for my password app and was able to restore that, so I am very glad about that. Also, in all of the browsers I use, I no longer have any favorites load and that is also something I truly need to have restored to me. Anway, thanks for your thoughts. And Mikie, thank you for your information above. I was able to get into the insider forums using your link and posted the problem there. As you said, hope one of the moderators sees it and replies. Thank you so much.
    ...See More
  • skydawggy
    16 years ago

Simonton doesn't make different frame widths to my knowledge.

There is a difference between Soft-coat and hard-coat.

Simonton makes the Reflections with 3/4", 7/8" and 1" spacers. Obviously there's a diffence in the sash depth but I am unaware of any difference in the sash or frame width.

There should be a bar coded label on the top inside of the frame. It will tell you what you have. I hope they didn't take them off.

I'd stop payment on the check until this is resolved. Did the salesman give you any of the specs in writing on the contract?

It's likely the dealer got them through a local distributor. See if you can find out which one and call them and ask about what configuration the dealer ordered. The concern I have is they ordered hard-coat. Other than that, you just got a salesman who doesn't know much about what he's selling or he intentionally misled you because he was afraid you wouldn't buy because of the sash width.

How are they trying to get more money out of you?

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Found the sticker! It was located on the right side of the window. That worried me all night (lol).
    Yes, you and I know there is a difference between hard and soft coat and maybe even the salesman does but he's pretending not to. If Simonton makes an IG of 7/8" in the Reflections 5500 series, they don't list it on the website and the ladies that answer the phone don't know about it. I did find a Simonton window that listed 7/8" glass thickness but I don't recall which one. The check cleared this morning...too late to stop payment. Yes, I have a written sales order/invoice with the window specs. "low E" (not Low E Square or softcoat) is listed. Does this sticker tell you which Low E it is? I will try to get the name of the distributor. Oh, they're saying I owe an additional $400 for the "large frame" (vs the small frame that I ordered). According to Simonton there is no large or small (width) frame, that all the "replacement" windows are the same width. The store said if it's not paid in 30 days there will be a lien put on our home :o
    Thanks,
    Monica

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

skydawggy, would this indicate the LowE factor (soft or hard coat)? The following came from the large sticker on the window (glass) of each window:
    U-Factor
    Solar Heat Gain Coefficient
    Visible Transmittance

• skydawggy
    16 years ago

I'm not in the office right now but it looks like you got E2 Soft coat glass based on the U value and SHGC. I'd tell them you spoke to Simonton about the frame width and to jump in a lake on the extra $400.

• skydawggy
    16 years ago

I checked with Simonton today just to verify they don't make different frame widths in either the Reflections, Impressions or Prism. They don't. I'd tell the contractor if he files a lean, you will have it removed within 48 hours and will file a lawsuit seeking a full refund of the purchase price and legal fee's if he doesn't back off.

I'm really sorry you had this experience. There are a lot of good contractors out there who are honest and care about our customers. Unfortunately, it's one's like this who give us all a bad name.

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Update: skydawggy, I can't get the owner of the company that installed my windows to talk to me. If it wasn't for the fact that they installed the kitchen window with grids (it was not supposed to have grids), I would tell him he could jump in a lake. Supposedly the new sashes are ordered, not in yet, but they won't replace it till I pay them the $400+ he claims I owe...for a feature that doesn't even exist (and that I didn't want or order if it did). My dad is telling me to call Simonton to contact this guy on my behalf. He used to build Southern Living homes and had a bad experience with a window installer that installed the wrong windows and wanted paid. When he couldn't get anywhere with the installer he called Andersen. They handled the installer and replaced the windows. Do you know if Simonton will handle something like this?
    Thanks,
    Monica

• skydawggy
    16 years ago

Arrggghhh.... I don't know if Simonton will get involved. I would doubt it, but you can try. If nothing else, get them to send you specs showing they only make one sash thickness in case this guy decides to push the issue. I'd contact your State contractor licensing agency and file a complaint. Many times they can get a situation resolved much faster than the BBB, but I'd still file a BBB complaint just to soil his reputation.

I'd also hold my ground on the $400. When they call you and say the sashes are in just tell them you have contacted the Board for Contractors (that's what it's called here) and filed a complaint. Now he's got 2 sashes he paid for and can't do anything with. I'd tell him you are starting to like the kitchen window with grids and are thinking about leaving them the way they are.

I know it's too late to ask now, but did you check this guy out with the BBB and get some references before signing the contract?

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

DOUBLE Arrggghhh! So much for the savvy business sense I thought I had! No, I dropped the ball and did not check this guy out before committing. I've done so now and he has an unsatisfactory rating with them. Since I can't get him to accept or return my phone calls, I've faxed him another letter and told him the ball is now in his court. He has to come up with proof. I called Simonton. They can't get involved and told me to call the distributor. I did, Shelter Dist, they won't get involved either but did say that my (no grids) kitchen window is in. I asked if they would ship it directly to me...no. They also confirmed that the Reflection 5500 double hung window only comes with ONE size frame. I've just faxed a complaint to the Texas Residential Construction Commission (texasrcc.com) hope it's the right office. Also sent them the copy of my BBB complaint and the letter I faxed to the window contractor. Oy! If it wasn't for that kitchen window, I'd not waste one minute of my time with this scam artist!
    Thanks for your help skydawggy.
    Monica

Here is a link that might be useful: Wholesale Home Improvements/BBB Report

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Skydawggy, thank you for your help before and after my Simonton window purchase. BTW, I'm loving the windows...just wish the purchase hadn't been soured by a crooked installer.
    Wondering if you could offer a little more advice. I've filed a complaint with the BBB last Friday. I also filed a complaint with Texas Residential Construction Commission. I called the Texas RCC today to confirm they had my complaint. They do but this doesn't fall in their jurisdiction. When I called the state licensing office, they said they didn't handle that type of business. I asked the Texas RCC to suggest who I would speak to about this issue. She suggested a lawyer :o I know you're not in Texas but could you suggest another office that might handle this? The Tx RCC IS going to send him a letter, since he is a registered builder, asking him to reply. Also last week, I contacted the distributor from whom WHI purchased the windows. They can't/won't get involved. Does the dist. not have a regional manager that handles issues concerning their clients?
    Monica

• skydawggy
    16 years ago

Unfortunately, I have no idea how Texas handles problems like this. Here in Virginia, we have a licensing board who can take disiplinary action against contractors who misrepresent. This can include loss of a contractors licence if enough complaints are filed or if one is egregious enough. You might consider filing a suit in Small Claims Court. My guess is it would be a pretty easy case to win and wouldn't cost you anything more than a 1/2 day off work plus some small court costs.

I can pretty much assure you neither Simonton nor any distributor is going to get involved.

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Update: My next move was to be small claims court but before I got started on that, I called the window company one last time. Was told that the owner said that they would replace the kitchen window when I called off the BBB and Texas RCC (residential construction commission). Uh, let me think about that....NO! Long conversation made short....they will install the replacement window in the kitchen, bring me a signed and notarized copy of my lifetime material and labor warranty and THEN I'll call off the BBB and Tx RCC. The girl that I've been dealing with is playing "I'm stuck in the middle and can see both viewpoints and just want to make everyone happy" angle. And maybe she is and does but the explanations were easily disputed. I just left it alone tho since the sooner I have my window and warranty, the sooner I can get that man out of life! Keep your fingers crossed this comes to fruition.
    Monica