SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jandt_gw

Newbie with Compound Mitre Saw and Floorboards....

jandt
18 years ago

Hi guys,

Let me stress - I'm very very new to this stuff :)

I have a mitre saw capable of up to 45 degree angle cuts (as far as I can tell - that's as far as the base rotates to).

My rooms walls meet at large angles in a few places. Meaning, approx 135 degrees.

If I need to cut a mitre join to meet at 135 degrees, is it possible with this saw? What would I set it to? I'm sorta baffled. Or do I need to be cutting at a fairly high number (ie half of 135?).

This ignores coped joints for now. Just trying to get a regular mitred inside corner to match up.

- J

Comments (2)

• tryinbrian
    18 years ago

The 45 degree cut is for boards that meet each other at right angles - i.e., 90 degrees. If your boards meet at 135 degrees they would need LESS of a mitre, probably 22.5 degrees. (Boards meeting at 180 degrees need no mitre - just a plain right angle cut)

In other words, I think the saw can handle your angles no problem. If you set it at 22.5 for both cuts and hold them together, the resulting angle should be 135 degrees.

• tom999
    18 years ago

135 degrees is the same as a 45 degree. A straight wall is 180 degree a standard corner is 90 degree. As Tryinbrian said, cut 22.5 degrees and you have your 45. 180 less 135 is 45 degrees. You can cut any angle on the saw you have.