SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tuesday_2008

Changing old flat panel birch cabinets to shaker style??

tuesday_2008
14 years ago

I have the old birch plywood flat panel cabinet doors made in the late sixties by a local cabinetmaker. Does anyone remember those beauties? Orange is the only description that comes to mind. And they all had the curved, coppery colored hardware! Don't get me wrong - I did slightly refurbish them with a nice new coat of poly about 15 years ago and installed new hardware (yep, shiny gold). Got the picture yet? To top it off, when I changed out the hardware, the handles had to be installed at an angle across the corner to match/or cover up the holes from the curved handles.

If you can get past the looks, they are wonderful cabinets, well made, solid, clean, lots of them - but they have to be updated! Have priced new cabinets and refuse to pay the price! I have a lot of cabients. Now I am analyzing my options and here is where you folks might be able to help me.

What I really would like to do is put a nice thin, shaker style trim on these doors (this would also cover up the old hardware holes) and paint the cabinets white. I have researched and found several redos of old cabinets done this way and they look awesome. The one probelem that I see is the current slab doors have slightly rounded or beveled edge. What would be the best way to deal with that if I install a shaker panel on these doors? Can the small amount of "bevel" be ripped off square? I think there is enough "overlap" of the door onto the frame to do this.

My other option would be to totally strip and then stain a darker color, but I do not want to go to that much work and I will still have flat panel doors. Plus, I am not sure the wood filler in the old holes would ever take stain properly. If I go the shaker trim route and stain, I would have to be working with new wood trim on old doors and probably wouldn't take stain the same way???

Another option I have researched is Stain and Seal, which would probably cover the wood filler. Anyone familiar with that stuff?

Final option is completely new doors. I am thinking that would get expensive also.

Give me your best advice - good or bad. Replacing them is not an option. Is it possible to convert these to shaker style? I have a relative who is extremely good at woodworking and could do the work for me - he works cheap.

Tuesday

Comments (10)