SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmmcd3_gw

Howard Butcher Block Conditioner over Minwax Stain?

jmmcd3
10 years ago

I have a solid piece of lyptus that I'm going to use as a bar counter in my kitchen. It's about 50" x 10" and it just a small ledge where I'll sit and drink my coffee and read the news in the morning.

My question is, can I stain the wood with Mixwax Wood Finish (this stuff: http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/stains/minwax-wood-finish) and then use Howard Butcher Block Conditioner or some other beeswax/oil combo as a sealer? I can't find a clear answer anywhere, because I'm not really concerned about this being a food-safe surface. Everyone's focused on the food-safety aspect.

Other background: I want to stain the wood because I'd like it to be more brown than the red my piece currently is. I don't care much for polyurethane and would like some level of water resistance (and not a shiny finish) so shellac is out.

I've used a citrus wax over Minwax stain as a finish on a kitchen table and been very happy with it so think this should work, but I'm interested in feedback, product recommendations, etc. If you have other ideas of how to stain/finish, I'm all ears.

Comments (4)