SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
radioguy4ever

what if we have electrical code violations?

radioguy4ever
17 years ago

okay, sorry if this is a little long. i had a previous post regarding junction boxes inside the walls. what we have decided to do is hire a different electrical inspector to do a whole house evaluation. we are certainly aware that there may be other problems, not just any caused by the contractor that worked on our house this summer. we are fully prepared to make any repairs WE are responsable for, as well as having the contractor repair any mistakes he made.

here comes the main issue. when the contractor started work he got a renovation permit. that was the end of it, the code officer was never called for any inspections before sheetrock was put up. there was never a final inspection.

if the electrical inspector comes in and finds all kinds of problems, he has to report back to the code officer on the violations. what if the code officer comes in and says "you never had any inspections, final, etc". WHO IS RESPONSIBLE? us as the home owner, the contractor or the origional electrical inspector?

i am starting to feel that by calling this contractor out with the junction box issue, we are opening up a HUGE can of worms.

we renovated our dining room, laundry room, bathroom and master bedroom/nursery with NO INSPECTIONS!!!! i will be absolutly devistated if it all has to be torn out!!!

am i over reacting here?????? PLEASE HELP!

Comments (10)