SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmalm53_gw

Best Method to Preserve Brand New Veneer Table Top?

lmalm53
15 years ago

Hi All. I just bought a new dining set for my newly remodeled kitchen. It is not high end quality but a nice midline set that meets our budget, size and appearance criteria. The table has some type of satin or matte finish over a very pretty wood veneer top. It is a very light finish though because I can still feel some roughness or grain when I run my hand over the top. I have concerns about the veneer being prone to scratches and spills with the expected daily usage. I know I can order a custom table pad and use table cloths all the time but I hate to hide the nice wood look of the top.

Is applying a few thin coats of polyurethane to a new wood veneer top a crazy idea? I don't know much about wood and finishes but I would like to know if there is product that would be safe to apply and give a protective coat that allows me to keep the table uncovered. The 20 year old table we are replacing was a cherry set with a wood grain laminate/formica top that held up wonderfully to daily usage. I was hoping this new set might last as long with proper care. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH