SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rossgard

Locating a controlling GFCI receptacle

rossgard
17 years ago

Are there any nifty tricks for tracking down the GFCI receptacle that protects a particular regular (non-GFCI) receptacle?

The back story:

During heavy rain this Christmas, some outdoor decorations plugged into our front porch outlet seem to have shorted. There is now no power to this outlet. At the same time, the outlets in an upstairs bathroom stopped working. My assumption has been that all of these outlets are on the same GFCI-protected circuit. The problem is that, despite trying to check every outlet in the house, I have been unable to find a tripped GFCI receptacle. (The panel does not have any GFCI breakers. Flipping all the breakers had no effect.)

I have found three GFCI receptacles, and all are untripped and test as fine (in the garage, protecting garage outlets; in the kitchen, protecting countertop outlets and a back patio outlet; in the master bath, protecting master bath and downstairs bath outlets).

Are there any pro tricks for narrowing down where the mystery GFCI outlet might be? I'm so tired of walking every wall in this house and asking extended family to join the search. :-)

Thanks,

Ross

Comments (4)